Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:57:39 PM

GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix

This is a discussion for the topic GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix  (Read 4745 times)

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #45 on: May 09, 2019, 11:58:07 AM
Will be DOHC belt driven. The hard bit like 911 heads is the stud pcd and need to siamese them, I'm lucky as the pcd will work, but I will still need to mill aside of each head to siamese them, the cams - timing ??? And crankshaft rotation will be hard and pistons and belts etc etc etc ;D
I do not speak English well , please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's , do not take offence because what you see may be not my true meanings.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #46 on: May 09, 2019, 01:05:39 PM
I will make a plate to cover the old waterways and for the barrel lip to sit in ;)oil or water cool the heads

I do not speak English well , please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's , do not take offence because what you see may be not my true meanings.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #47 on: May 09, 2019, 02:41:47 PM
It's looking good :) as I did not know at the start if the stud pcd was going to be ok, as I have only seen pics of the heads before Its just a "Stab In The Dark'  and I had to ask my good lady :-* if it was ok to buy the head and all I got was "how does one find out what work if one can't find out what doesn't work" ;-)(-;

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #48 on: May 09, 2019, 06:39:20 PM
I'm sure you've thought about this ad you clearly have a plan, but I'll say it anyway. Won't a 5" beam cut make your turning circle non-existant?

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 08:42:22 AM
I'm sure you've thought about this ad you clearly have a plan, but I'll say it anyway. Won't a 5" beam cut make your turning circle non-existant?
I had a 6" narrowed beam on a bug, ;-) I will set it all up before painting and cutting the bars, So I can come back out if needed?

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #50 on: June 03, 2019, 12:13:20 AM
Frame head all on still need to clean the welds up,

I hope to cut off and fit the IRS rear end in this week jig 1/2 made I will give it a 1" lift as well, It's a lot of work for not a lot

I'm fitting gas night heater in our camper so the buggy will get the D1 :D

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #51 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:23 AM
I'm fitting gas night heater in our camper so the buggy will get the D1 :D

That will be something to see  ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #52 on: June 03, 2019, 01:41:05 PM
I have a friend who quite some years ago now fitted a eberspacher petrol fired heater pulled from a left hand drive beetle in the local scrap yard. This had two controls. One for heat output and I think the other was a timer but not certain now. It certainly put out some warmth but smelled a bit bad. This may have been because it was old and probably never serviced at all.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #53 on: June 03, 2019, 11:01:05 PM
I have a friend who quite some years ago now fitted a eberspacher petrol fired heater pulled from a left hand drive beetle in the local scrap yard. This had two controls. One for heat output and I think the other was a timer but not certain now. It certainly put out some warmth but smelled a bit bad. This may have been because it was old and probably never serviced at all.

I did have a petrol Eberspacher in my 181 they are good that had the red and green controls but they are big and old,,.. I like the Diesel ones as you can use red-Diesel" so cheap to run,,

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #54 on: June 04, 2019, 12:07:30 PM

I did have a petrol Eberspacher in my 181 they are good that had the red and green controls but they are big and old,,.. I like the Diesel ones as you can use red-Diesel" so cheap to run,,

Yes they are large. Almost all still existing will be in a "fairly dangerous" state condition wise. I have never seen the diesel version other than in pictures but they must surely be safer running off diesel. Do you still need to be a registered user to get duty free red diesel legitimately?

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 09:33:58 PM

Yes they are large. Almost all still existing will be in a "fairly dangerous" state condition wise. I have never seen the diesel version other than in pictures but they must surely be safer running off diesel. Do you still need to be a registered user to get duty free red diesel legitimately?

It is not for road use ;-)up They will run on red or home heating oil etc but not on veg that is why I took it out my van,

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #56 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:54 AM
They have been in my shed for 20! years, at last, I got a buggy that they look good in ;-)up

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 11:28:24 PM
A good day in the garden at last ;-)up, I got the side irons on!! as I do not like the look of body to pan I hope the Irons will give it a clean lower look and it adds 20!!kg ,, I ended up using a rack and it looks like turning circle will not be too bad,,

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #58 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:01 PM
I always fit the iron under in the channel or if needs be remove the outer down lip, then you can fit riv nuts into the top of the box to secure the body, roll cage needs spacer tubes and long bolts then though. but it keeps the pan in original dimensions.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #59 on: July 19, 2019, 10:58:24 AM
I always fit the iron under in the channel or if needs be remove the outer down lip, then you can fit riv nuts into the top of the box to secure the body, roll cage needs spacer tubes and long bolts then though. but it keeps the pan in original dimensions.
I put the box seam at the bottom as was going to us m10 rivnuts I used the GP dimensions as I will not be swapping chassis and unlikely it will fit any other buggy as it would need a flat rear boot! floor