Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:14:37 AM

GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix

This is a discussion for the topic GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix  (Read 14777 times)

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 05:57:55 PM
Both of these look like industrial scale land grabs !

You tootle up with your little buggy and trailer then the next moment you've annexed half a tennis court.

I'm surprised caravan parks allow the huge footprint...
Hugh

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 06:16:59 PM
I used to have a Trigano, superb bit of kit, but every time I would put the thing up in an empty field as far from anyone else and the water etc as I could get some tw.t in a caravan would come and park next to it.
Problem with caravans is in a tent I used to want to turn in soon after dark as I knew I would be awake at first light, but caravaners watch telly until midnight and then they sleep on in the morning as they have blinds and soundproofing.

Camped near Yarmouth once, the farmer had three fields, all empty and said go where you like.  I drove through gates with the usual farmland swamp in them, shutting them behind me, to the furthest field and set up as far away as I could get.  Went out for a walk and came back to find 3 bloody caravans about as close as they could get, I reckon caravans think trailer tents are an easy lay or something and drag their tow cars over.
Then for 2 days I put up with them moaning about the mud on their Chelsea tractors and the walk (or drive) to get water and I took the tent down and moved to the other side of the field
Next morning, you guessed it.

Re camp sites, Camping and Caravanning Club was once great listing farmers who let you camp for a few quid and just supplied fresh water and a dunny, then they started insisting on shower blocks, hot and cold water, toilets that flushed etc and the good sites all vanished and what was left were the expensive ones with childrens playgrounds and loads of caravans, so I sold it and made room for a buggy in the garage - best move I ever made
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 08:03:47 PM
My one is only for vw shows :D and will only us the trailer part, not the awning,,

We did look at a bell tent,, But putting a 12man up at bugjam 19! put me off tents and bugjam for life as we got up to a group of 6! asleep in the awning  :-\ ::) and one still ask for Breakfast >:( I was going to build a pod but I have not got the time, So for know, the flat pack will have to do,,
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 11:44:05 PM
Back to the build :D and I'm going to fit a new frame head :) and sell the chassis ::),, Why as I'm going to cut the frame head off and the back end off a good chassis,, I have a good irs back end and I got a spine and frame head from a buggy I had 15 years ago and I may as well do a flat floor and loss the pan rim at the same time and get a clean body to pan look :D why doing all this I hope to drop the body 1" over the spine and lift the rear maybe 1" I'm lucky as I got a flat boot floor only thing that may stop me is the engine fan top hitting the body, I would build a box-tube chassis but time a money ,, If I can do the chassis and airlift all the bits like roll cage, turbo engine, can be added on over time
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2018, 07:42:59 PM
Been back home to pick up some bits out the barn!,, I may fit a rack!!

Back to the build, As I narrowed a bus beam some years ago and the bug rear tube has the same ID ;-)up
I did clean before welding

Rain stopped play today :( but in a way we need it ;)  The chassis parts and engine-gearbox are from a Q plate buggy,I strip years ago as no one woud buy! it,, And as I will all ways mot my cars and I can tax as I need it on line now why not use it,,:D

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 11:04:10 PM
I was going to buy 1303 chassis off a guy on facebook to save me some time!! , but the guy took a deposit from someone, On the day I was going to pick it up :-\ So I had a day free! to strip a type 4 engine I have 8! engines to pick from, I was going T1 new build 1776cc turbo ,but I like type 4 engines and was all ways going to fit one to make a long haul automatic buggy,, So I pick the engine that only has 500hrs on it,only thing is it may have been used as a boat anchor ::) I do have a back up 2.0L ;) Turbo's and oval port heads do not mix?,, So I had a look on eBay and It was my lucky day :) The add was  "Mercedes Benz super charger used but working perfectly" ;D
Only 3 days and it was at my door :)

As soon as I up the box I got hit by the smell wd40!

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 10:00:39 PM
I got ok to work on the buggy at last  :D Front end 5" ::) narrowed beam but will have drop spindles, discs, wheel adapters, so it will be only 3"! overall I was going to buy 5x120 pcd discs but it is less cost for new discs and I can go back to 4x130pcd etc if need be at any time,
I do some things the hard way as like the beam Yes it would only take money to buy a bolt on made one" but "cookie-cutter buggies have no soul",,
I did cut 5" out the middle weld and then I cut the uprights off that is a pig of a job! makes for a stronger beam! and I do not like beam inserts bleugh you will see no beam adjusters I will come to that next post

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 10:20:49 PM
Why no beam adjusters! Over the years I have had lots of vw's and the best ride has been coilovers but good ones like avo's are over 400!! a set and my buggy Is not for racing and I have only seen one buggy on air shocks and I think airbags are best! ;-)up,, I do not know how this is going to ride or if it will work as the wheels may hit the body and tie rods may hit the tank an so on,,but it is all made from scrap so low cost!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:23:05 PM by IDA »

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #38 on: April 29, 2019, 07:27:33 AM
it is worth a try and to save track rods how about a steering rack.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 05:30:12 PM
it is worth a try and to save track rods how about a steering rack.

I was going to fit a rack and I do have one that will fit! but you end up taking away the VW part of the car, and come time for a new rack it's Obsolete!? I got drop spindles so I'm looking for more lift to go over speed humps

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:53 PM
To days work ;-)up and lots of welds to clean,  It's going to be hit and miss: :) how it sits as I still got torsion bars but I made the airbag mount bolt on so I can drop or lift it if need be?

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #41 on: May 06, 2019, 01:47:37 PM
body back off time to weld,

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 09:45:56 PM
I got sent 2 heads today :D I will need 4 of them for a project 16v type 4 engine I'm building,,It may go into the buggy if it works???????? its a good start as head stud pcd ;-)up sorry bad pics 

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #43 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:30 AM
A 16 valve type 4 so will it be OHC and belt driven. Keep us posted of this involved project motor.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #44 on: May 09, 2019, 09:09:22 AM
Intrigued - and watching this with much interest   ???

What were the heads from?
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk