Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:29:18 AM

GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix

This is a discussion for the topic GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: GP LDV - The rise of Phoenix  (Read 14778 times)

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
on: June 27, 2018, 08:13:11 AM
Hi all  :D I have got one year to build it and we got the time off for EBI 2019 I was going to build my mk2 rat but the body is  :-[ and I'm old! So lots of looking and a long road trip I now have a good old ldv body as no one likes them?? for a good price,
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:26 AM
I now have a good old ldv body as no one likes them

Nope, you are quite wrong there - I quite like the LDV, and its shame you don`t see many of them

Good one to rebuild and cannot wait to see it ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:15:00 PM
Probably one of my favorite British buggies, look to Brian Burrow's old one for inspiration!

If it's  Mk1 with a curved screen look after the glass, they're getting scarce.

Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 01:40:07 PM
I did a fair bit of work on that one too when Simon had it    ;)

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:53:41 AM
I have not sanded some paint off to see ;) but It is an old mk1 and was a red/pink bleugh fiberglass and all the old fittings like fuel cap etc line up The same as one in a 70's mag,, May just be me ::)  As all did get is the shell and no running gear as I was not paying over the odds?? for a v5 that I do not need and as it is a hard top LWB it will go on a saloon v5 ;) , It is going on a 67 chassis, The one on page 13 of Building a dune buggy, As its been in Paul barn for over 10 years and needs some welding etc I will IRS and do lots of mods to it, like air ride it etc but not in a bad way,, It has got to be a driving buggy So will have an Eberspächer :D and tow bar or roof tent, maybe a turbo 1776cc I just got to see as I can not put lots of money in to it but I do have a lot of parts from old fast! etc vw's and some gear! and maybe a little idea! ,  But the bad thing is  ::) I got to build it in my backyard and I only got a 5ft gap to get it back out of ;D
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:52:42 AM
To save on cost etc I got to build it at home and if "love thy neighbor" will not let me out over thy garden ;-)(-; It will have to go sideways In 2/6! bits So my build started by building a frame so I can roll the buggy less engine on its side out to the front lucky as the buggy chassis to the rooftop is a GT46" so I will get it out on its side If need be, But I may be ok as I got good neighbor's but give it time and me building the buggy >:(   and to top it off I still got to get it out of the front garden So all bits in and out have to fit past a 33" wide gate or over the hedge ;D But I can hiab it over if need be so my 1st build is a framework  Good thing is it give me a build roller :) ,,, sorry for the bad pics as I used a £13 sports camera,,,

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:17:11 AM
The Chassis, Is a barn find  ;) I was looking for a b/j chassis as it saves me work!!

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:29:19 AM
I think the Roll Cage is a bit on the large side   ;D

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 09:16:21 PM
I hope it will work like a big roll cage! I did some more welding to it to day "rip autograss buggy for the box steel,,, I do hope to have the 64 chassis out and the 67 one bolted in soon to start cutting for IRS and a to pie cut the from head

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 05:05:05 AM
The garden will be fine for the build and better than a garage miles away, there was one built in Gloucester also  in a garden that got craned out over the house when it was finished then it lived on the street.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 06:56:33 PM
It will be going in a garage ;-)up I'm only doing the welding etc outside and may get time to build a carport,,I hope to do all the welding and cage before it starts to get cold! and wet,

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 02:15:44 PM
Needs a bit more welding work but it is a start ;-)up My welding must be ok as the twisting bar on the back has only one spot weld holding it on

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 11:27:23 AM
The body Is ok not the best! but it will do for now,

I will sand some paint off as I think it is the old LDV buggy?? :) And if it is I may take the old paint back off and do a 70's look buggy,,

All ways a good thing to see ;)

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:53:05 AM
At the time of pick up the 67 chassis, there was one more in bits cut up for a manx? and a engine, not knowing anything apart from it had a v5! I offed some cash and we, put it on top of the 67 for the ldv,, I got sent the v5 today and it is just got ,,, Volkswagen Convertible :D ;-)up

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:56:32 AM
I got sent the v5 today and it is just got ,,, Volkswagen Convertible :D ;-)up

Double result then as that Body looks pretty good from here  ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk