Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 06:23:20 PM

Wheels & IVA ammendment

This is a discussion for the topic Wheels & IVA ammendment on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: Wheels & IVA ammendment  (Read 1111 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
on: June 17, 2018, 04:36:24 PM
Thought I would pop this in here... Have just spent hours with sheets of cardboard for templates. Really don`t want to have to get out the fibreglass and resin but don`t want Westfield\Marlin style "mudguards).

This is about a 2013 revision to Section 37  of IVA manual. Have been aware of this but only now that my buggy is on four wheels with both rear wheels perfectly level across tyre treads and the rear of the tub level side to side with the engine weight in it do I realise what an effect this revision is. Hope the photo is clear as it takes a lot of words to describe.

Imagine you are looking at the buggy from the side at, for example, the rear wheel area. (Note this applies to both front and rear wheels.

Have drawn a line representing ground level. Look to the lines I have drawn vertically through the wheel hob centre cap and the horizontal line.

Notice the angles lines creating 50 degrees and 30 degrees to the vertical. Also see the horizontal line 150mm above the horizontal line above the

horizontal line through the hub centre.

Note the words front & rear which indicate "to front or rear of vehicle .

OK ... the wordings....  "The vehicle must be fitted with mudguards"
                                  "The wheal guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the front" (Figure 1 applies)
                                  "The wheel guard must  extend at least 50 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the rear" (Figure 1 applies).
                                  "The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout the required dimensions" (Note 2 & Fig` 1)
                                  "The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal plane of 150mm above the wheel centre (Note 1 & figure 1"..

Note 1 .... The rear part of the mudguard after the required 50 degrees does not have to cover the full breadth of the tyre.
Note 2 When determining the wheel guard coverage you must view the tyre from the vertical, horizontal & longitudinal planes.

OK...  a lot of porridge.... Even has my local tech`s scratching their heads as to what a buggy a la Manx style requires to comply... spats, full additional mud guards or what. It`s the 150mm above wheel centre line that raises the questions. (Hope to have an answer that does not mean creating fibreglass additions to the rear existing wheel guards)...

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:06:33 PM
Sorry   Misplaced the two angles.. 50 degrees is the wheel rear rear not 30  ;D ;D

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:31:08 PM
Paul ‘they’ are obviously trying to reduce any possibility that mud and grit on a wheel can fling forward and hit nearby people and the specs are certainly biased towards zero chance of spraying or peppering anyone other than ground scurrying rabbits.

Slightly concerned it is ‘Revision 4’ as that clearly implies revisions happen more than once. Ie your goal posts may move again before you cross the joyful finishing line....

Nevertheless I look forward to standing by clapping as you drive up at a buggy gathering in your legal creation.
Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:34:08 PM
Hi Keith... Got to getta a move on ... The more time I take the more hiccups I will face... I do appreciate that there is a need to reduce what the wheels kick uo, especially the rear ones but huge yellow extensions at the rear  ;D ;D

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:11:22 PM
huge yellow extensions at the rear, Hugh will be after some.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:43:42 AM
Keith... Really, really trying to shove this at the back of my mind despite having to confront it. Might as well buy a car and pretend it`s a buggy  ;D ;D

this user is offline parmaynu

• Buggy Veteran
  • Maidstone, Kent
  • Nuffin
    • Old Skool Parts Shop
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:35:13 PM
Have you spoken to Mark at Flatlands? They must have a solution
Old Skool Parts Shop

oldskoolpartsshop.com

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 02:11:41 PM
I havn`t for a while Mathew.  Mark is in the fortunate position of having approached IVA with his first IVA prepared buggy quite some years ago. Having achieved a pass, and being a business, he can present documentation on further builds without having to present the actual buggy as long as each buggy is the same. I know it sounds daft and makes mockery of later revisions. Guess sooner or later this will become a revision to stop it.
However thank you for suggesting this. I will give him a call as there is nothing to lose.  ;-)up ;-)up

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:04:15 PM
seems unbelievable that once one has passed and you have the documentation you could go into mass production with a paperwork only check but it explains the consistent standard flat lands buggy look as they are built to the original pass specification.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 07:37:24 AM
Mental Kieth.....  Have you ever seen a Flatlands built buggy? Turnkey is around the £14K + £2K for IVA compliancy  but he workmanship is exemplary...

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:43:29 AM
Agree he builds show quality buggies one after the other.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:14:49 PM
I'm proudly from the 'Buggies are just a cheap fun way of getting a few more years out of a rusty old Beetle, they can be built in a weekend' school of thought. ;-)up
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.