Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 12:38:22 PM

Front Suspension Changes - Opinions please

This is a discussion for the topic Front Suspension Changes - Opinions please on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Front Suspension Changes - Opinions please  (Read 4230 times)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #60 on: November 12, 2019, 04:16:11 PM
My only bug bear on a standard set up is the steering set up and rubber boots the rest is pretty bullet proof apart from rust.
The new set up would be easier to fine tune and adjust.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #61 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:55 PM
What sort of price is that?

If you add up

A)
New beam with all the leaves, shocks and a steering box its around 1600 ~ 1800 ish

B)
New Beam with solid links and coil overs and a steering box its around 1600 ~ 1800 ish

C)
Ed reckoned his new IFS setup would be around the  1700 ish

D)
The Brazilian beam works out at around 1400 + Shipping + taxes - so nearer the 2k mark landed

Not a great deal in it financially  :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #62 on: November 13, 2019, 08:57:16 AM
I will look after mine well then

With those costs the all singing one looks good IF it is made well.

I have only seen one example of expensive replacement front beams close up and that was a Red9. The welding was appalling. Just held together with blobs.
The individual pieces were also misaligned and it had to be taken apart and re-welded to get it to fit

Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #63 on: November 13, 2019, 09:39:31 AM
I have only seen one example of expensive replacement front beams close up and that was a Red9. The welding was appalling. Just held together with blobs.
The individual pieces were also misaligned and it had to be taken apart and re-welded to get it to fit

I wonder why I have not even considered nor included Red9 in my ramblings on here, (despite Gary having one on his Buggy)  :-X
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #64 on: November 15, 2019, 03:57:24 PM
As I've said before, I'd be very careful about fitting any of these kits that are sold on the premise that double wishbones are better than trailing arms simply because they're double wishbones. I've lost count of the number of times we've looked at the front of the racer and considered chopping it up to fit wishbones and then abandoned it because it quickly becomes apparent that if you want clearly better performance/geometery than the trailing arms you need wishbones 2-3x the length of the ones that come with these kits.
 And with that amount of polybushes to bind, squeak and cause friction instead of bonded rubber bushes I'd bet the ride quality on the road is no better or even worse than a decent stock needle bearing beam too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:01:56 PM by PhillipM »
One of them mucky ones. Sorry.

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #65 on: February 25, 2020, 11:31:28 PM
Just sent an email over to the Brazillian guys asking EXACTLY what shipping etc is going to cost along with lighter springs for use with a Buggy

Lets see what they come up with   :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 07:35:01 AM
Triumph Herald/ spitfire wishbone system good lock and disc brakes just need softer springs and the geometry was fine just needs a mounting made. There is at least one UK buggy with it already fitted. And they are historic vehicle parts fitted years ago  ;)

https://www.triumphexp.com/phile/8/10160/Front_suspension_2.JPG

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #67 on: February 26, 2020, 09:31:12 AM
Anyone tried these for a replacement steering box?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Steering-Box-Refurbished-Beetle-KG-Karmann-Ghia-Type-1-Post-61/153742280634?hash=item23cbc107ba:g:qwQAAOSwT5Rd3~ZV

They are also doing Pre 61 type boxes but say in the advert they have a new worm and roller fitted which is strange as they are worm and sector? May just be a typo.

If these are good, put on a new Limebug BJ beam with new track rods, torsion leaves, steering stop and grease seals you have a new front end for under 1000 

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #68 on: February 26, 2020, 10:23:00 AM
Flags

I`m wondering if they would they supply or "engineer" the parts that your were looking for
rather than just shifting completed boxes?   :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #69 on: February 26, 2020, 01:31:04 PM
I may contact them to see if they seem kosher and not just giving them a clean and paint.

By the time you factor in a new worm, roller, bearings, gasket, seals, shims and time to dismantle, clean, reassemble and set up I think these are quite cheap if they are what they say they are Dave.

We need someone to bite the bullet and buy 1.  Personally if I needed a new box I'd take a chance on 1 of these rather than the dubious quality TRW items or the zero quality Chinese crap but if you say to folks a brand new box for under 100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T1-BEETLE-BUG-STEERING-BOX-113415061C-1962-1985-NOT-1302-or-1303-A557/201262866252?fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3ABeetle&hash=item2edc339f4c:g:1bgAAOSwbqpT41Cl

Or a reconditioned box for 195

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Steering-Box-Refurbished-Beetle-KG-Karmann-Ghia-Type-1-Post-61/153742280634?hash=item23cbc107ba:g:qwQAAOSwT5Rd3~ZV

Most will go for the new 1 because they know no better.

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #70 on: February 26, 2020, 03:23:24 PM
Anyone tried these for a replacement steering box?

They are also doing Pre 61 type boxes but say in the advert they have a new worm and roller fitted which is strange as they are worm and sector? May just be a typo.

If these are good, put on a new Limebug BJ beam with new track rods, torsion leaves, steering stop and grease seals you have a new front end for under 1000

I was looking at getting one, as the new steering boxes are pretty much useless.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #71 on: February 27, 2020, 08:41:29 AM
I paid top whack for a supposedly best quality TRW steering box and sold on the original VW item that came with the donor Beetle... I am now older and wiser.....  I know this is impractical for most folk but if you could see a reproduction steering box in bits alongside a genuine 50 year old VW box you would see what a poor substitute the TRW is.

The americans are not fond of the antique technology and there is a lot of steering rack conversions for the beetle chassis over there. I have only ever seen schematic diagrams and photo`s but they use an item each side called a "berm". This attaches to the eyehole in the stub axle arm to raise the mounting level of the eyehole to allow a rack to be fitted just at top of frame head level. Cannot remeber if rack sits over frame head top or is mounted to the bulkhead.

Spitfire front end... First new car I bought.. Remarkable turning circle but you needed great care not to overdo the full lock thing at anything above a crawl speed. Found this out when I needed new front tyres after a few months of driving. (Remember I was a typical young and daft young man  ;D ;D). Spitfire rear end ... leaf spring strung across rear axle with spring set upside down to the norm.... Would go round a roundabout at 40mph, (not may cars of that era could), but it was a hairy experience in the wet....

A arms or trailing arms....  Just worked on a Volvo CX90.... a arms at the front & trailing arms at the rear...

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #72 on: February 27, 2020, 10:15:35 AM
TRW Germany is a repected company who do remanufactured steering and stuff do not list beetle only for the brakes so the TRW we see is probably Taiwanese Reproduction Works.

Happy birthday Paul.

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #73 on: February 27, 2020, 10:23:06 AM
I must also confess that the German quality we used to know and love seems to have gone down the pan these days and for some of the stuff I am seeing in my own industry, the parts (and part numbers) are suspiciously identical to the crap coming out of Taiwan / China

And Happy Birthday Paul 
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #74 on: February 27, 2020, 01:32:02 PM
TRW Germany is a repected company who do remanufactured steering and stuff do not list beetle only for the brakes so the TRW we see is probably Taiwanese Reproduction Works.

Happy birthday Paul.

Thanks Keith and for the guidance re- indicator self centering  P    ;-)up