Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 08:29:43 PM

steering column inner shaft

This is a discussion for the topic steering column inner shaft on the board Parts Wanted.

Author Topic: steering column inner shaft  (Read 128 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
on: June 14, 2018, 11:07:42 AM
Does anyone have a Beetle steering column inner shaft going spare? (The version with the collapsible section at bottom end). Needs to be straight  ;D   Postage to DL5 5QB also (South West Durham).

this user is offline Big GP

• Buggy Baron
  • Essex
  • Sidewinder
    • Southern Dune Buggy Club
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 08:25:36 AM
What size do you need. The steering wheel end has two different sizes I think they are 19mm and 23mm

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:24:09 PM
get back to you. I`m not sure. Will check the original which is built up with steering wheel etc fitted.  Looking for a 2nd one for mods. Paul ;-)up ;-)up

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:36:49 AM
Measured with a vernier gauge this morning...  Shaft o\d is 21.6mm.  splined section is 16.9mm...   Realise you don`t need figures this accurate so this must be the smaller of the two versions.

If you have one or can locate one please let me know. Postage also please. Thanks P.

this user is offline Big GP

• Buggy Baron
  • Essex
  • Sidewinder
    • Southern Dune Buggy Club
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 09:29:52 AM
Iíll have a look

this user is offline fugglededumm

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:58:56 AM
Do you need the whole shaft if it's for a try out ? I have one from Steering wheel spline down to where it was chopped at 58cm overall.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:59:53 AM
You could do a cut n shut and put a straight section on the bottom of your top piece. Just put the join up in the column tube as the tester may get funny about it although they accept welds from the manufacturer without question.

Did the handbrke info and photo arrive?

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:02:56 PM
Hi Keith photo no but measurement did arrive  Thank you . I have yet to check this. Today spent on a different aspect that I am about to post about.

Think I have confused the issue.   My original inner shaft is fine and is in place. It took a while to get shaft, coupling, steering box laser straight down the central axis. It is now as confirmed by my trusty laser that doesn`t quite like working at an angle but can be persuaded to.  What I am looking to do now that all lines up perfectly, camber 100% as it should be, at least for a Beetle, and some semblance of self centering I do not want to disturb things. I am looking for a second inner shaft so that I have one at hand to shorten for future use although being a little guy I may get away with a standard steering wheel on full length shaft

Wouldn`t you think I would stick to one thing at a time ha ha    ;D ;D

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:04:26 PM
Iíll have a look

Thank You.. P. ;-)up ;-)up

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:06:30 PM
Do you need the whole shaft if it's for a try out ? I have one from Steering wheel spline down to where it was chopped at 58cm overall.

full shaft   see my reply to snoopy