Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 05:45:41 PM

adjustable front beam - sits too low

This is a discussion for the topic adjustable front beam - sits too low on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: adjustable front beam - sits too low  (Read 497 times)

this user is offline disasterbus

• Surrey
  • Manx
on: May 14, 2018, 11:25:36 PM
Last week I changed the wheels and tyres on mu buggy as I wanted a more traditional look, getting away from the nose down, arse up look the buggy used to have.

Before:

After:

The problem is lack of clearance with the taller profile front tyres.    I've gone from 195/50x15 (22.7 inch tall)  to 205/60x15 (24.7 inch tall).   
The adjustable beam is supposedly set at it's highest setting.   The torsion arms are about horizontal - parallel to the ground.   Been a long time since I've had a beetle - on a stock height beam don't the torsion arms point downwards more?, ie. the beam end of the torsion arm is higher than the hub end.

I need to find more height without cutting the front wings back if I can help it, don't want to hack into the body!   Any suggestions?

Thanks!

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:30:14 PM
Watching this one with interest, as this is what troubles me about changing my beam too   :(
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Manxstu

• Buggy Lord
  • Bude, Cornwall
  • Eastcoast Manx
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:58 AM
Canít you cut the adjusters off the the beam, rotate them and re weld them on again?
The futures bright, The futures orange!

this user is offline simon-dubman

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
  • Powerbug body with Flip up bonnet
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:48:27 AM
I had to do cut and re weld my adjusters in my beam to allow better clearance. I first tried to wind it to the top but that did not allow enough clearance.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:10 AM
Canít you cut the adjusters off the the beam, rotate them and re weld them on again?

Everyone seems obsessed with lowering the front all the time, and a standard ride height just doesn`t appear to be an option these days. But it did make me wonder if instead of rotating them, could you turn them upside down so that you could raise a beam instead?

There is probably a good reason why not, but had to ask   :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:02:46 AM
Depends on the type of adjuster bit on mine I just took the moveable plates off and filed the top of the slots. A mm here amplifies at the wheels
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:12 AM
If you have an after market puma beam they sit lower even fully raised.  If the adjusters are fully wound up to maximum you can cut and reweld higher. Also on a bj beam has it got all the torsion bars fitted as these can be removed to lower and soften the front end.   
Guessing it has not got dropped spindles fitted you could swap to standard ones.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • LL68, Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:18 AM

Everyone seems obsessed with lowering the front all the time, and a standard ride height just doesn`t appear to be an option these days. But it did make me wonder if instead of rotating them, could you turn them upside down so that you could raise a beam instead?

There is probably a good reason why not, but had to ask   :-\

Sway a Way adjusters are made to be fitted either to lower, to raise, or if fitted side by side to widen the beam. It's just that most get welded in in the wrong positions by crazy, bagged trousered, vzi Cal Look kids that want to 'lay the beam' man and wonder why their fillings shake loose.

Original Sway a Way products come with instructions, EMPI rip offs don't.

https://swayaway.com/tech-room/instructions/

If you want to get a bit more height without cutting and rewelding you can strip a Sway a Ways down and slot the oval holes a little more at the tops with a die grinder for more height. If you need longer screws the threads are 1/2" unf.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:30:49 AM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

this user is offline disasterbus

• Surrey
  • Manx
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:08 AM
many thanks for all the replies so far - that's really helpful  ;-)up

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:15 PM
And you will end up with a better ride quality and steering that works correctly, once raised it will need the tracking done as it will then toe out.

this user is offline chrisbarker

• Buggy Lord
  • Abinger Dorking
  • lwb gt
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 06:07:19 PM
i think that you have lowered spindles on your buggy so may be possible to change for standard height spindles then use the beam adjusters to get it to the height you require
the arc built by Amateurs,the titanic built by professionals nuff said