Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 09, 2021, 07:55:04 AM

V5c

This is a discussion for the topic V5c on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: V5c  (Read 1909 times)

this user is offline Colapal79

V5c
on: April 26, 2018, 11:50:07 PM
Hi
I have recently bought an swb Apal buggy project very much in bits.  I don’t know if it has ever been on the road.
The dvla vehicle check shows it was last taxed in the late eighties!
There was no v5 as the previous owner(who like me bought it as a project)couldn’t find the vin!
Do I fill in a v62 as per the original beetle now to get the v5c? Will this even work?
Will this help in keeping the original number plate further down the line when ready to go back on the road?Presumably it’ll need and Iva/sva test?
Sorry for all the questions!
Any help here would be appreciated.
Cheers
Col

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:49:25 AM
IVA.... this test is applied to a vehicle that has a "radically altered chassis. That is to say a shortened chassis a la short wheel base.

Generally, for a production car, not having a V5C for a previously UK registered vehicle is not a problem as long as you have a receipt for the purchase to prove true ownership. Now the difficulty lies in giving you any definitive advice because the DVLA is a true mish mash of people who interpret the legislation in their own way and they can be real hard work in resolving the simplest of situations.

DaveDND, on this forum is, or is about to be an "advisor" for the buggy world and he will be a person to help mediate when the latest upheaval DVLA is going through becomes resolved sometime this year,

Now then don`t be disheartened by my next comments which is to say the absence of a V5C document is a shame... even for a UK registered vehicle but that is where you are at so stay totally positive, My recomendation based on donkey`s years dealing with DVLA is to start out methodically. Approach the DVLA via phone, (KRA department), and discusss a need to obtain registration or V5C copy if one previously existed.
BUT talk to them on a hypothetical basis. That is as though you were considering buying the buggy and don`t say you already own iit. Try to get your questions stated to the same individual during the one call. Don`t be surprised if the person you talk to says he wil have to talk to others for advice. Stay on the line.

Based on what you are told then decide if it is prudent to move on to the actual request for registration or V5C. (Try to keep the SORN aspect out of the talk if you can.

If the buggy has never been completely built up and registered in the UK previously then you are looking at going down the IVA route for a correctly UK\EU registered buggy. (Take a look at my build thread should you decide to do this).

Above all... this forum is great and has members 100% willing to help you. Just ask away. No question is too daft.   ;-)up ;-)up

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:18:44 AM
If you have the registration number apply for a V5 as it is on their data base then see what it states when it arrives . The document is not proof of ownership just the registered keeper. Oh and good luck with DVLA.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:19:51 AM
If you know the reg number then look for the vin, it will be/will have been stamped on top of the tunnel at the rear, just forward of the oval inspection plate. If you can find the colour that'd be good. Any over spray on the chassis from a shoddy touch up maybe? Are you anywhere near where it was first registered? If so a visit to the town hall records office could get the info from when it was new. Do you know what model Beetle it was based on, 1300/1500 etc? If 1500 put the exact engine size, eg 1493cc, they like exact sizes. Get together what info you can and sent off the V62 and see what comes back, you may just be surprised!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:32:02 AM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:46:17 AM
Just looked at the V62 form and the frame number is mandatory as David says some careful cleaning and examination on the rear tunnel is required, without the number you are stuffed or a phone call to them as you can do it on the phone and say the vw buggy is stored away so you cannot get it at the moment but offer to pay just be nice as you never know you may get one sent out.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 09:05:01 AM
Just looked at the V62 form and the frame number is mandatory as David says some careful cleaning and examination on the rear tunnel is required, without the number you are stuffed or a phone call to them as you can do it on the phone and say the vw buggy is stored away so you cannot get it at the moment but offer to pay just be nice as you never know you may get one sent out.

If you can't find the vin it may be worth a punt just to send it off anyway with all the info that you've got, I've sent them off without reg numbers before now and got them back okay.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:15:00 AM
If you know the registration number, then as others have said, I would take a very careful look at the chassis number so that you can clearly make out what it is. I would then apply for a V5c using those numbers. I would be careful with what I would put next though, for make, I would put Volkswagen, but I would leave any other information as far as model or type goes as blank. Engine size I would put as 1600 (unless you know different) and if you cannot determine the exact colour from overspray etc, then I would either hazard your best guess, or put grey primer awaiting colour change. I would also add a covering letter to say you have just purchased the vehicle and want it in your name, but only ever refer to it as a Volkswagen - nothing else.

See what comes back.

If you are lucky, then a V5c will come back in your name that you can then work with and tailor to your requirements.

However, there is an elephant in the room that you need to be aware of.

DVLA are not as stupid as we like to think they are. They know the word Hypothetical and they will probably work out pretty quickly that the car has been off the road for a considerable time. They also now have some new rules that I am trying to get my head around for what they now call "Reconstructed Classics" - basically they are now looking into anything that has been restored or rebuilt with a view to MOT status. Depending on the status of the V5, this may well incur some form of SVA/IVA testing if you are unlucky. I am unclear if they are taking SORN declarations into account as a trigger when looking into this one, and that could be problematic for a few too.

There used to be a way to obtain the vehicle history from DVLA, but the online form disappeared from their website around the same time as they were undergoing the last set of consultations, but I am not aware if it has reappeared as yet. It may be worth asking DVLA if you can apply for a history of the vehicle, which they can do from VIN number, and when you are met with a Data Protection reply, you need to stress that you are not interested in any former owners, but merely want to know what changes have ever been made to the vehicle over the years as you would like to preserve it and return it back to its original former glory.

If you do need to talk to DVLA, then be prepared to be bounced from pillar to post until you can find a friendly case worker

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

For what its worth, many years ago, before the current set of Jobsworths were employed, I sent off a VIN number only for a rusty heap I once found with a covering letter explaining as such, and it came back with a full V5c - A covering letter is key, as you can give a brief and basic outline that you are buying a Volkswagen that needs recommissioning and you want to put it back to original
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 09:20:00 AM
Oh, nearly forgot . . .

If you do not have a Registration number, then do you know anyone in the car sales industry. It can not be impossible through some form of HPi test or similar investigative enquiry by some form of registered user, to obtain a reg number from a VIN enquiry.

Just a thought   ;)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 01:21:54 PM
Hi,
I realise I didn’t say in my original post that I do have the vin and the reg no. I have owned a beetle for the last 20 years so was more clued up than the previous owner with regards to where the VIN was!
Through doing a dvla check it tells me that the car was blue so that’s all sorted.  It was originally a 1500 and still has original engine, gearbox etc.
Essentially it is original minus the shell oh and a section of chassis length!!
The only piece missing with regards to what they have on file is the model.
Do I say beetle as I don’t really want to in case it has been registered as buggy(how good that would be)
If I leave it blank I presume they will send the form back.
Thanks for the advice
Col

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 01:24:25 PM
I would leave the model blank and see what returns   ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 02:01:19 PM
Thanks Dave,
Sorry just re read your previous post and saw that was your advice.
Cheers

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:47:24 PM
I would leave the model blank and see what returns   ;-)up

This∆∆∆

Just leave it as it could be down as any number of things or maybe nothing at all. Fingers crossed it doesn't say Beetle on it, it should really say VW 1500 but that's doubtful. Good luck!

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 09:38:42 PM
Sent today with model blank.
Looking forward to the reply as long as it comes back as beach buggy!
Wishful thinking I guess!!

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 10:15:07 PM
being from the 80's and an imported shell it could be correctly registered as it was a simpler thing to do back then.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 04:53:09 PM
Sent today with model blank.
Looking forward to the reply as long as it comes back as beach buggy!
Wishful thinking I guess!!

Would love to see this happen..

Was told by DVLA, think 2016...that "Beach Buggy" is not in the software "drop-down" list