Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 03:54:00 PM

AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod

This is a discussion for the topic AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod  (Read 60172 times)

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #255 on: August 01, 2019, 03:44:42 PM
Well done on the trip to santa pod and good luck with the education.

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #256 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:38 PM
Well done on the trip to santa pod and good luck with the education.

Cheers Snoopy!

Hats off to you and Roisin for venturing so far, getting soaked and still not learning your lesson !

August 11th to March is far too long without a buggy event in the calendar. The MBC usually do a Xmas meal in December before the weather really turns grotty and Solihull is only 372 miles from Dundee....

A mere afternoons quiet drive!!!!  ;D

Maybe able to squeeze vw action in but would be a very last min decision. Roisin doesnt have holidays to go and id need to get placement to give me days off. If I can do split nightshifts maybe.. :-\
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #257 on: September 28, 2019, 08:05:58 PM
Not much going on, enjoying it while I can with the weather. Runs like a dream stops starts and goes all like it should. However....

I have developed a few annoying issues though. Most of which I have made up in my head, that aren't essential to sort but because I dont have the skills and kit to sort it they've been bugging me for a while, and others that I can't seem to fix....

The accelerator pedal has intermittent floppage issues. Oh dear!

When coming to a stop more often that not the the pedal will not retract fully, other times it will retract about all of the way. Its as if a return spring as gone/broken and no amount of fine tuning on the carb end can address it so it must be inside the pedal set. I will see if I can bodge up a spare carb return spring onto the arm inside the tunnel, but I feel this more of a temp fix. So I guess a new pedal set as I believe whats in is the original 62 set, and they sure look like they've seen better days.

....I'm looking to get a rear tow hitch for the buggy put on. Probably be a custom job which I can't do. Im no welder, and I dont have the skills/equipment to do so.

I'm also really tired of the incorrect fuel gauge, I want a new tank that can drain all the fuel, not have 15l floating side that will never get used....

Also that misaligned steering column/coupler/box needs done for a UJ

Wow, a lot to do I guess, a bit out of my league for some.... Anyone recommend a good buggy builder to sort it all at once for me over winter?!?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :-\ ::)
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #258 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:51 PM
‘Runs like a dream.’

Great start to your post but come on Arran you know the score with buggy ownership... viz whilst things can run smooth for quite a while there’s no guarantee some niggle or major issue won’t come out of the blue. That’s why we have recovery insurance.

You have niggles and all are sortable medium term but such an old vehicle comes with a lucky dip of random frustrations.

I do sense though that you know all this deep down and your excellent yellow machine will continue to rumble about the northern UK.
Hugh

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #259 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:39 PM
accelerator pedal bind could be the cross shaft in the pedal assy binding or on the left of the tunnel under the cover plate. the cable may require some lube in the guide tube or in the flexy above the gearbox. fitting extra springs makes it hard to push down and when they finally give you get a mass of throttle not a genteel progression as you push down.

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #260 on: September 28, 2019, 11:56:27 PM
Arran if you're using a hex bar linkage, it could be that.  Mine did the same until I swapped to the CSP bell crank system. It's about £100 but the difference is enormous. Much easier to set up and to balance and above all it's super smooth.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #261 on: September 30, 2019, 10:38:18 AM
Arran if you're using a hex bar linkage, it could be that.  Mine did the same until I swapped to the CSP bell crank system. It's about £100 but the difference is enormous. Much easier to set up and to balance and above all it's super smooth.

Its defo in the pedals. I can flap the accelerator like a tissue in the wind with a finger and nothing moves on the linkage at carbs.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #262 on: September 30, 2019, 01:30:08 PM

Its defo in the pedals. I can flap the accelerator like a tissue in the wind with a finger and nothing moves on the linkage at carbs.
Yes but that could be happening when the linkage is sticking open or maybe the cable is getting snagged somewhere.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?