Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 10:37:41 AM

AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod

This is a discussion for the topic AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod  (Read 47895 times)

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #240 on: August 16, 2018, 08:03:30 PM
Been away on holiday for my four weeks annual leave over summer from university. Was great to get away but Nursing students only get four weeks! None of this finish in May and come back in September jollies for us!

Got a replacement gear stick rod bushing fitted and put a dab of threadlock and made sure they wouldn't turn as I zip tied through the bolt holes around.... Should be solid enough now.

Also fitted a mid mount transmission support bar. I've had it for a while but I put getting it on until after I came back from holiday. A few websites say that the studs for where the bar fits need replacing for longer ones, I didn't need too as I felt I had enough on them to just feel the stud proud through the nut after tightening. I will replace them with nylocs just to be safe but it fits well. Didn't even need to jack the car up to do it! Good times.

I've noticed some paint has flaked off where I have been using trolley jacks so that'll need to get sorted. Might do it tomorrow night if I can find some paint brushes.... Otherwise battery was flat and a quick jump start with a spare I was off and away for a wee 10 mile jaunt to bed in the transmission support. Seems to work well but I didn't floor it or anything, the clutch feels great and the engine bedding in is still on going.

Hope to make a German themed car show on the 2nd but time will tell.
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #241 on: August 16, 2018, 09:38:26 PM
Great to read your yellow buggy is still being tinkered with and is out and about north of the border.

Do you have an isolation switch as that might prevent the battery going flat whilst you are away for more than a few days ?
Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #242 on: August 16, 2018, 09:54:44 PM
I do, but I have only the memory of the radio bypassing it so it remembers the stations. I guess the radio drained it out after 5 weeks of sitting still.

It would still crank, but it wasn't enough to get it going so a cheeky hook up to an old 12v I have just for the occasion and it was going like a champ. 
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #243 on: August 18, 2018, 07:55:43 PM
Under side all repainted, mid mount re-bolted with nylocks and a general poke about done. Sorted for the next year or so hopefully  8) Gonna try and get as many miles on it over next few weeks to have engine broke in and then tuned for winter...
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #244 on: October 10, 2018, 06:30:18 PM
It's been a while. Not really had time to use the buggy. So much stuff going on, but I have set aside some time to get things made up and painted at least.

I made up some templates to make water shields to hopefully protect the new carbies enough in a spot of rain. As the filters were directly in line with the back wheels, not good if i ever get into an IBW return journey again. So I got them fab'd up and they look like they'll work a treat. Guess proof is in the pudding.
I also got a blanking plate made up for the steering wheel. The horn button wouldn't seat snugly in the steering wheel so I've had it out for a while, but looking at a nasty bolt and steering shaft was a bit annoying.

Also got the wheels powder coated in super dooper silver, so all good!  ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #245 on: October 10, 2018, 07:10:17 PM
Wheels look great. Now stop fussing about shields for rain, and such like, and get some miles in before the season ends!
Hugh

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Reply #246 on: October 11, 2018, 04:43:35 PM
My carb splash protectors are perspex and clip onto my rear cage. I found I also needed lorry mudguard brushes to get a good enough seal to stop water getting in during the annual monsoon

Don't see why you have a problem, thought rain up there was solid
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #247 on: October 11, 2018, 05:17:25 PM
Wheels look great. Now stop fussing about shields for rain, and such like, and get some miles in before the season ends!

Will do!  8) 8) 8) 8)

My carb splash protectors are perspex and clip onto my rear cage. I found I also needed lorry mudguard brushes to get a good enough seal to stop water getting in during the annual monsoon

Don't see why you have a problem, thought rain up there was solid

The last run up from IBW it was crazy, but I think the reason I was ok against everyone else having big carb trouble was my filters for the little 34ict's were suspended right above the engine on 90 hoses, pretty much where they would be if it was a single carb setup. So they'd be in no danger of water getting near them. These big 40 idf's however the filters are right next to the wheels, especially with the super short type 3 manifolds which are about half the length of type 1 manifolds... so any spray is going right in em.. Hopefully that wont happen now.  :-X :-X :-X
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy