Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 10:23:07 AM

AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod

This is a discussion for the topic AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod  (Read 66841 times)

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #225 on: June 21, 2018, 05:20:29 PM
Looking great Arran.

Don't you have bylaws in Scotland keeping vehicles off the beach ?

You're obviously all set for some long buggy trips...
Hugh

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #226 on: June 21, 2018, 06:36:35 PM
Looking great Arran.

Don't you have bylaws in Scotland keeping vehicles off the beach ?

You're obviously all set for some long buggy trips...

I couldn't possibly confirm nor deny that Hugh, but I did by bit picking up some washed up tyres and a few big logs. Justified in my opinion  ;-)up

It's just a case of getting the miles on it now to break the engine in. I'm nearly there but not had much time recently. I am always set for long trips! Might need to get a new fuel gauge in since the gauge wizard cooked it, but stopping every 100 miles or so means I'd never really run out of fuel.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #227 on: June 22, 2018, 06:16:45 AM
Great photos Arran.  ;-)up

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #228 on: June 24, 2018, 08:54:45 PM
Great photos Arran.  ;-)up
:D :D :D Thanks! next 7-10 days apparently "taps aff" so plenty more to come. No rain in the forcast for a long time!

Buggy wise....

Pumped the tyres to 30psi all around. Buggy is a bit more crashy but the steering is superb. Might doss them down to 20 at the back to make it a bit softer since they're mahoosive and 25 at the front.

Nearly at the magic 500miles for the engine to have broken in. I get a lot of engine/gearbox shake if im not super careful in first. All new mounts around, all be it "stock" strength. So perhaps the 1776 is pushing them a bit too far. Not the best when you're trying to nip it at a roundabout for example.

May go for Rhino's or perhaps solid mount infuture... Had a look at those gearbox straps but im not overly convinced....? anyone got experience with them? I've seen coolair offering a truss bar kit which looks wicked, but I duno about clearance with the buggy shell and they're a bit dear. I'm not really fussed about any extra noise or vibration as, well its a buggy ;)

Will get it addressed when the engine is ready to be dyno'd to get it set up good and proper. Get the pro's to fit em while they're dyno'in it.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #229 on: June 24, 2018, 09:50:28 PM
30 psi sounds a bit high, especially for the front and usually rear is higher than the front cos that's where the weight is.

Too high it will bite you in the wet

All buggies are different but be a bit careful next time you get liquid sunshine

All the best
Dave
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #230 on: June 24, 2018, 10:08:28 PM
30 psi sounds a bit high, especially for the front and usually rear is higher than the front cos that's where the weight is.

Too high it will bite you in the wet

All buggies are different but be a bit careful next time you get liquid sunshine

All the best
Dave

Steering felt super sloppy with em down low. turns on a dial now but yes, light weight and rock hard tyres is a recipe for hilarity.
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #231 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:15 PM
Hi Arran, have you checked the bend in the clutch cable yet, that is what usually causes judder when pulling away. Some of the genuine gearbox mounts are very soft rubber which do let engines wobble about quite a bit on tick-over but as yours is all balanced up, you shouldn't notice this much. I don't know why anyone would want to go for solid mounts. With my buggy I run a type 4 engine witch is quite heavy. I use a Rhino front gearbox mount and the red urethane cradle mounts. With this set up the engine moves very little and I get no transmission noise and I use no extra gearbox straps  ;-)up

Rob

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #232 on: June 24, 2018, 11:56:01 PM
Hi Arran,
I have used solid front and rear mounts for 25 years now and never had an issue with juddering.

You have been in my buggy and felt and sounded what it was like with solid mounts but obviously your choice.
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #233 on: June 25, 2018, 07:30:08 AM
Hi Arran, have you checked the bend in the clutch cable yet, that is what usually causes judder when pulling away. Some of the genuine gearbox mounts are very soft rubber which do let engines wobble about quite a bit on tick-over but as yours is all balanced up, you shouldn't notice this much. I don't know why anyone would want to go for solid mounts. With my buggy I run a type 4 engine witch is quite heavy. I use a Rhino front gearbox mount and the red urethane cradle mounts. With this set up the engine moves very little and I get no transmission noise and I use no extra gearbox straps  ;-)up

Rob

I did look at it and it seemed ok, but I but a little bit more of a bend on it. Didnt really seem to help on the seat of the pants. Will try again before solid mounts.

Felt fine to me! Any specific recommendations for solid mounts?
Hi Arran,
I have used solid front and rear mounts for 25 years now and never had an issue with juddering.

You have been in my buggy and felt and sounded what it was like with solid mounts but obviously your choice.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #235 on: June 25, 2018, 10:10:09 AM
As Rob said, Have a look at the Rhino mounts, as they offer the advantages of stiffening everything up without the harsh vibrations from going completely solid - I fitted these to mine too

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #236 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:35 PM
Shifter coupling bolt decided to abandon buggy  ;D ;D ;D

Just done a 120ish mile trip up to loch tay via aberfeldy and back through creiff. Got back into dundee just beside our fav mexican and lost the gears after a roundabout.

Ach well.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #237 on: June 28, 2018, 05:50:32 AM
Ooops.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #238 on: June 28, 2018, 07:36:31 AM
Tough luck but Yellow on Yellow works for me!
Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #239 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:03 AM
Yeap! Dont suppose anyone knows the thread size for an early shifter coupler? The one with the two bolts.

Might save me buyin a whole coupler again.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy