Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2018, 08:53:37 AM

AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod

This is a discussion for the topic AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: AP's 1962 Beach Buggy Resto - Mk5 Volksrod  (Read 49320 times)

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #210 on: April 14, 2018, 10:39:37 PM
Pleased for you Arran. Good outcome.  :)
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #211 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:31 PM
All fitted, but no action yet.... Sigh! The accelerator pedal has decided to loose all its spring for life. The cables are tight from pedal to hex bar, but pressing the pedal it wont return....

Such an annoyance! Doubt I will be making any stoneleigh now :( Today was my last free day to get it running and book a cheeky MOT when I wasn't on placement....

Here's a mid installation pic.... those little ickle air filters!!  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:48:22 PM by apmaman »
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #212 on: April 29, 2018, 07:51:10 PM
So, everything went together and all OK.

Until I tried to start it.....It'll turn over like no tomorrow but just not starting.... I thought I had spark and was very confused why it wasn't starting. Very hard to test with just a one man band but I used some elaborate mirror technique thinking that I did indeed have a spark....

Turns out I don't have any spark with the assistance of an able body helper this evening. AKA Dad.

Tested all HT leads and no spark against a ground.
Tested HT lead out of the coil to Dizzy against a ground too.

No es-sparko. It seems my elaborate mirror technique wasn't as good as I thought.

I have 3 wires going to +ve on Ignition coil. One has 12v feed with ignition on. One seems to not have a feed when ignition on or off (confused) the other is the red for electronic dizzy.... -ve side has only one. Black going to electronic dizzy...

All fuses are OK. I can't seem to see any loose connections under dash.

Ordered new coil, and leads.

No idea where to trace my second coil wire too. Maybe that's the cause of my woes.. No idea where or what it would be connected too.... More fun! Yaaaay  :-[ ::)
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #213 on: April 29, 2018, 08:09:56 PM
Arran you're so close and Snoopy or another learned bloke will hopefully be along soon with clear insight and suggestions but one of my coil wires goes to power the fuel pump on my MantaRay.

I've had similar issues with electrics but having someone like Snoopy not too far to advise or actually poke and prod has always soon found the 'simple' issue.

Keep the faith and don't miss your uni exams.
Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #214 on: April 29, 2018, 10:02:46 PM
Arran you're so close and Snoopy or another learned bloke will hopefully be along soon with clear insight and suggestions but one of my coil wires goes to power the fuel pump on my MantaRay.

I've had similar issues with electrics but having someone like Snoopy not too far to advise or actually poke and prod has always soon found the 'simple' issue.

Keep the faith and don't miss your uni exams.

There should be a Snoopy available to all!  ;D ;D

After a good chat on facebook I think I may have actually cooked the electronic dizzy... Looking back I think I may have put the wires that were suppose to go on the +ve side of the coil to the -ve. Then once hooking up the dizzy I've inadvertently sent the electricity down the wrong road and cooked the little pixies.

I can't think of anything why it wouldn't start....?

3 weeks till exams... working 40 hours on placement... any spare time is revising, sleeping or swearing at my buggy...  :D :D :D

It'll get going. Just a case of getting time and working out wtf I have done..... then NEVER EVER TOUCHING THE ENGINE OR ANYTHING MECHANICAL/ELECTRICAL ON IT EVER AGAIN
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #215 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:46 AM
never played with an electronic distributor but americans like black wires as a live not an earth like the UK did.

coil + should have the switched ignition live and a wire to the carb shut off valves and chokes if fitted. some time folks use the terminal to power other stuff like fuel pump or cruising lights.

for speed of repair a standard points distributor dropped in will prove the systems and may also save buying unnecessary new parts.

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #216 on: May 31, 2018, 07:41:55 PM
MOT Tomorrow.... lets hope for the best. Only slight issue is the brake pedal seems to not want to return quite as sharp as it did. I think its because its been sitting so long. Otherwise can't think of anything else that it might fail on.
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #217 on: May 31, 2018, 07:48:39 PM
lubricate the pedals and check the return spring has not broken, good luck with the mot.

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #218 on: May 31, 2018, 08:12:38 PM
Liberal with the WD40, it only happens sporadically but worth noting it might just happen when its on test. Should be fine though!

Everyone I have spoken too in the trade about it recently have all being going on about the age related MOT, all have said it shouldn't need one anymore. Not that I am going to apply for exemption but its funny how some mechanics etc interpenetrate the new rules.
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #219 on: June 01, 2018, 07:22:21 AM
Yes Arran people's opinions are cheap/free but its you who has to sign the form.

As we don't want Scottish buggys failing to stop properly at English road junctions best to continue with the MOT's !

I assume the exemption question will get asked each MOT so you can always opt in at a future time ?

Simply tell people you feel safer and more responsible having an independent person check over your historic vehicle once a year.
Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #220 on: June 01, 2018, 10:17:52 AM
Oh defo Hugh. No way I would drive it without someone who's a professional to check it over. It would be insane to drive something without doing so. I personally think its a really stupid idea making MOT exemptions, the rhetoric behind new mechanics not knowing enough about older cars speaks volumes in terms of the educational training provided but thats a whole can of worms I'll keep sealed!

In other news, The longest road trip ever began a year ago today. Me and Roisin headed off to meet Alan and the Scottish Buggy Club had its first unofficial European tour.

What an adventure, and forever to be noted that everyone will have steering couplings in their spares box now.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #221 on: June 01, 2018, 10:49:58 AM
Oh we all remember you desperate to get attention at the first opportunity...

Before:

During:

Afterwards celebration:

And more celebration:
Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #222 on: June 01, 2018, 02:43:17 PM
Ahh so many memories. Loved every second of it.

Clean mot. Woohoo!!

Im gonna guess the clutch needs to bed in a bit too as its kennedy performance stuff. Its a bit bitey in first gear. Just needing time to get use to it.

Might need to raise the idle speed a fraction too as it sometimes just dies at junctions. Its a bit on the low side. I always prefered a bit of a higher idle. I think they sound better.
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #223 on: June 01, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
........ and forever to be noted that everyone will have steering couplings in their spares box now.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yup, got mine  ;-)up
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #224 on: June 21, 2018, 04:45:26 PM

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy