Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2018, 07:23:26 AM

The end of Beach Buggin'

This is a discussion for the topic The end of Beach Buggin' on the board Events, Cruises and Gatherings.

Author Topic: The end of Beach Buggin'  (Read 245 times)

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
    • FF Buggies
on: February 12, 2018, 01:27:24 PM
Taken from https://www.facebook.com/groups/beachbugginfans/permalink/10156378765999396/

Hi Guys we need to let you know that BeachBuggin 18 will not be going ahead and Dave and I have made the extremely tough decision NOT to continue on with the BeachBuggin Show.

Following the meeting with Portsmouth City Council Events Team back in September 17 we both came away from the meeting with exactly the same impression - that the values of the show would be undermined by the new constraints Portsmouth City Council (PCC) want to put on the show and the show would not continue in its present form - they have rated us a large show (i.e. the same size as Victorious Festival!!!!!!) and therefore there will be a huge increase in costs because of the various hoops we are being asked to jump through as well as a massive increase in the bureaucracy that brings. At the end of the day our very simple and successful formula (some VWs parked up in a field showing off!) would be completely turned on it's head.

The key factors that have brought us to this decision are:

Charity Sponsorship - PCC have said we can only sponsor charities within the PO1 to PO6 postcode. This means that 80% of the Charities we have sponsored in the past would not have met this criteria - Rowans Hospice, Macmillan Cancer Support, Aidan's Walking Fund, Cancer Research Campaign, Naomi House, Hayling Island Hedgehogs, Kings Arms Young Carers, Hayling Island Scouts and Ickle Pickles would only have just scrapped through because they are at QA Hospital in Cosham. In effect they would 'vet' and approve our chosen charity. We simply don't find this acceptable especially as some of the charities that we have donated funds to in the past who do fall into the approved postcode range- i.e. Helping Hands Homeless Charity are openly "disapproved" and "opposed"by PCC - we aren't interested in politics just in helping charities who do good things!

Volunteers - we will not be able to use Hayling Island Scout Group to do our parking (which is in fact their Mums & Dads) anymore, this is because they are not in the PO1 to PO6 postcode and I quote "not part of Portsmouth". Hayling Scouts have been supporting the show for 6 years and in return for their car parking we make a donation to them which they have used for attending events and jamborees. We have also been told that our Stewards will need car parking qualifications! (we have checked this out and no such qualification exists only for Banksmen on Highways) It was evident that the use of volunteers was not supported at all by PCC and seemed to be completely frowned upon - the bottom line is we simply can't run this show without volunteers.

Show Layout - the council have indicated that they want the show to be gated to restrict footfall! The whole point of the show is it is an open show and the public are free to walk on, as are the show attendees. Gating the show brings a whole new range of restrictions that we just aren't interested in entertaining and would just simply change the atmosphere and show dynamic

Costs - the show has always been run on a Not for Profit basis by VOLUNTEERS with the aim of maximising our profit for the benefit of our chosen charity for that year. Three quarters of the profit goes to charity{s} and a quarter retained as working capital for next year's show so it is completely self-funding. The margins are tight and - we have a turnover of circa £12k per annum of which £4k is spent on advertising and running costs including £800 on insurance - that leaves £6k for our charities - £4.5 k for our sponsored charity, £1.5k for the Amanda Fund (charitable donations for various causes throughout the year) and £2k in reserves - any increase in costs will just wipe us out without significantly increasing the gate price - we aren't prepared to do that as it is not justifiable.

Dates - what a joke this has been! full stop! even after 18 years of holding the show in Portsmouth and for the past 8 years on the same date, the council bump us at the drop of hat, 4 times! This is simply down to money - we get charitable rates for hiring the common compared to other shows that have to pay a commercial rate (20 times higher than the charity rate ). So we will get bumped each time a show wants the dates we have booked!

I think you'll agree that the support of PCC is simply not there.

So after 18 really great years and over £85k in donations we are calling it a day - thank you to everybody for all your support, love and help over the years - we really have enjoyed every minute of it.

All the best

Dave & Ally

Looking for a new buggy shell Go to FF Buggies

Build Thread

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:22:55 PM
Thats a real shame

Red tape and bureaucracy are killing shows like this up and down the country.

We have similar problems here in Torbay, and the restrictions that the Council are putting in place are making it very difficult indeed

Common sense will prevail . . . .  Just maybe not this year

:'(

this user is offline Purple Haze

• Newton Abbot (ish)
  • '66 SWB GP Mk1
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:17 PM
That is sad news... and I can't help thinking that the people who invent and apply the red tape and bureaucracy are a pretty soulless lot.  >:( >:( >:(
Fast, cheap, and goodÖ you can only ever have two! If itís fast and cheap it wonít be good. If itís cheap and good it wonít be fast. If it itís fast and good it wonít be cheap! Pick two words to live by...

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
That is sad news... and I can't help thinking that the people who invent and apply the red tape and bureaucracy are a pretty soulless lot.  >:( >:( >:(

To many litigation lawyers around these days and public bodies are now risk averse to the point it is stupid. We need a return to using common sense.

this user is offline tansu

• Portsmouth
  • EPC HUSTLER
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:38:51 PM
A real shame.  Itís where I popped my Beach Buggy cherry and persuaded the others half to let me get one.
A bad day on the water is still better than a good day in the office.

this user is offline Melly B.

• Buggy Addict
  • Sussex & Spain
  • Marathon Manx2 & GP Mk1
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:16 AM
Great shame. Myself and a few others from Southern Dune Buggy Club worked with the initial organisers many years ago to make the show a success; we normally had around 50 buggies at most shows (when the weather was dry).
Buggy anorak. Owned my GP Mk1 for 25 years

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
Is there not an alternative venue? I'm sure you've considered this but it seems a shame to quit as the meet has such a good rep.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Buggy Meister
  • FF LWB
    • FF Buggies
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:27:07 PM
The organisers, who are not on here, don't really want to run it elsewhere.  I'm sure they have looked at other venues, and there are other venues actually interested in running the event.

On the plus it seems that Portsmouth Council may be back tracking.

Donna Jones Leader Portsmouth City Council : Statement from Portsmouth City Council regards Beach Buggin'

Portsmouth City Council was disappointed to learn today that the popular VW event, Beach Buggin will not be returning to Southsea Commin this year. This is a popular event and many local families attend it each year. The last contact the council had with the orgiansers was in September 2017. In spite the council emailing the organisers in October, there has been no contact until an email was received today.

Cllr Lynda Symes said:
ďPortsmouth City Council has no objection to money being raised for charity, including those outside of the city such as the Rowans Hospice or scout groups based in Hayling Island. The Helping Hands Homeless Charity are not "disapproved" or "opposed" by PCC and do great work for the homeless.

Last year there were issues including vehicular movements directly adjacent to the War Memorial on the seafront. Clearly this is a very sentative area of the common, and we need to ensure the area is properly managed. The council has not requested a gated event, the fact the event is open and not fenced in, works well. We did however request that the War Memorial was sectioned off with fencing.ď

The numbers of people attending the event has grown in popularity and is now in excess of 5000. As per all large scale events, due to recent terroist attacks in the UK, any event with 5000 people plus need to have adequate safety measures in place. Portsmouth City Council have a duty of care to work with Hampshire Police and South East Counter-Terroisim where appropriate, to ensure events on our land are adhering to national safety requirements. This is the same for all events.

We are happy to offer support to the organisers to assist them with the background work required to meet these requirements including the preparation of the traffic management plans and we have invited them to attend the Public Saftey Advisory Group meeting in December where a number of event organisers get together to discuss saftey plans and ideas. They have failed to attend the meeting.

Portsmouth City Council hopes Beach Buggin will meet with us as a matter of urgency and take up our offer of help so this popular event can continue. If they decide not to continue, we would urge other such event organisers to get in touch so we can continue with a similar event in 2018 in Southsea.

Build Thread

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:57 PM
As a guess, I would imagine the problems are due to the new Anti Terrorism measures that the Councils now have to undertake with events over a certain size, and that usually means Road Closures and now, physical bollards to prevent vehicles from ram raiding the public. Not an easy thing to comply with.

Its Beach Buggin FFS, and I would imagine, that like Paignton Fireworks suffering a similar problem, its pretty low down on the terrorists radar   >:(

• Buggy Meister
  • FF LWB
    • FF Buggies
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:53:51 PM
What ever happened to the British stiff upper lip, we never let the IRA prevent us from doing things. 

It seems like, if the terrorism thing is what is causing the issues, we are letting them win.

Build Thread

• Portsmouth
  • EPC HUSTLER
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 05:52:05 PM
I fully understand both sides.  Famed if they do etc.  However as a member of the Navy and have responsibilities for security on my ship I would be happy to assist/advise if I can. 

I was looking forward to taking Bobbie there as my first one but not hers. 

M

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 06:41:19 PM
I think we need a party on your ship !!   :D

• Portsmouth
  • EPC HUSTLER
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:10:00 PM
Ha ha. Shortly on leave