Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 03:54:23 PM

emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb

This is a discussion for the topic emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb  (Read 8834 times)

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
on: February 03, 2018, 06:21:51 PM
Found it on e bay so had a look as it was 15 miles away, it was loosly assembled ie one gearbox horn bolt, one bolt each side axle to spring plate, one engine bolt, front axle bolts in about 2 turns, body lying on top and no floor a dodgy clutch hole in the spine, column, fuel tank and bonnet sat in place.
paid on veiwing so loaded the tiguan for the trip home.

then took the trailer over for the buggy and another load in the tiguan, with the help of Chimp

correctly registered in 74 as a GP beachbuggy but PLG so need to change it to historic.
it also came with the VW certificate for the 1957 chassis rhd siler registered in Cyprus as a previous owner tried to get it back on a 57 plate but DVLA sent a no way letter back.

absolutely no floor pans so looking for Nike or Reboks to suit.

it aslso has a 1970 80 page booklet All About Beach Buggies by Ian Ward and Dave Hipperson which is very interesting and list all the buggy manufacturers at the time and how to build a buggy + write ups on most models a great bonus with the buy.

now to sort out 2 bonnets, 2 steering columns 3 hand brakes, 2 wiper set ups 3 regulators 8 wheel adaptors, 14 wheels 12 with tyres of which 4 are us,3 exhaust systems and loads of other stuff all into one swb buggy.

sunday may be a get the 1300 motor running if it will as it turns by hand with no end float. then disassemble the rest read for the start of the hard work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:55:37 PM by snoopy »

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:32:43 PM
Great book that, a C&CC special, I've had it since I was at school. The buggy looks like a great buy too.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:53 PM
Well it plus the mixed bag of assorted extra parts have gone to the right home.

I can see quite a few shiny bits in those boxes so I can guess which way the styling will go.

But most importantly it’s a proper buggy colour.....
Hugh

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 04:03:41 PM
productive 4 hours today, engine quick valve check and reset as there were some large clearances and seized adjusters, point done and dodgy self tapper replaced with a screw luckily thread cleaned up, plugs out and oil the barrels before spinning it over top of the weber and filled the float chamber and away it went so happy days a good motor.
then stripped it ready for pan work.

gear box is long shaft 4 stud 67-72 so does not mate to the front mtg,

hand brake cable extensions on the 57 cables and adjustable rear shocks,

frames above and below chassis 1300 twin port motor

dodgy work on the front spine area a bit like on the rear part,

but now ready for the refurb to start

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:01:24 PM by snoopy »

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:06:01 PM
Taxed worse . .    ;D

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:48:48 PM
Biggest problem is my welder is now buried behind a pile of buggy spares and parts so I need to empty the shed first then a shopping trip to get some steel sheet and box sections.

this user is offline fugglededumm

• Buggy Baron
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:33 PM
For steel - Got an FH Brundle nearby ? http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/  Usually great prices on steel and cheap delivery even if below min order if you are in their catchment.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:37:32 AM
For steel - Got an FH Brundle nearby ? http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/  Usually great prices on steel and cheap delivery even if below min order if you are in their catchment.
s

Cheers for the info

this user is offline madmatt

• Buggy Obsessed
  • bath/frome
  • sidewinder
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:27:13 AM
I could help you out getting rid of those orrible  back wheels if they are 4 stud crappy wolf's, how wide are they ? :D
The more you know,the more you know you don't know

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 04:29:18 PM
had a few hours on the pan today, cut the crack out and the dodgy front cover plate ready to fit a new piece  inside the tunnel is like new better than the 70's pans I have done, removing the residual part of the floor pans is taking a while as it looks like they were gas welded on but seamed not short runs or spot welds.

Matt the rear are chevy 5 stud guessing appliance slot mags they will not go back on here as they are to wide but not sure what is happening with them yet, the fronts are 7 X 14 4 stud wolfrace, need to sort the wheels sets out sometime as there are a  set of banded steels in 4 and 5 stud and a pair of wide 5 jackman style and a set of weller 8 spokes.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:03:34 PM by snoopy »

this user is offline Marky-b

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:53 PM
Hi all,
I put a bid on said buggy but was automatically rejected  :'( and after I had a think and was about to go a bit higher, it was gone. As they say, you snooze, you loose.
I will go and introduce myself on the new members board in a mo.
Anyway, good luck snoopy with the build.
Look forward to seeing the buggy progress.

Cheers,
Mark

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 07:13:29 PM
Hello Mark, welcome to the site. You never know with buying I offered a lower price saturday morning when viewing it and he had turned down a £2000 offer so I agreed a bit more and as it had 27 hours left he could remove it from sale.
The previous one we got the seller turned down £800 to end the auction early as my bid was £700 then in the last 4 days he had no more bids so he lost put by letting it run.

These days if I see something I want I get it there and then to avoid disappointment.

this user is offline Marky-b

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 07:49:06 PM
To be honest, I made a silly offer of £1200 after asking him what he was willing to let it go for. He wouldn’t give me a price, just said bid what I was willing to pay. I didn’t have a clue to what it was worth but there was another one on eBay at the same time, that was more complete and had a floor for £3k. I would have gone up a bit more but without guidance, I wouldn’t have gone to 2 grand. I joined this forum Friday night, so I could ask for peoples thoughts on it but I ran out of time.
You did the right thing by going to have a look and seeing what you was getting for the cash. Bit more difficult for me, as I’m only in the Midlands during the week, as l live just outside Wainfleet, Lincs and go home at weekends. And I was tiling the kitchen floor, far more important than going to look at a car.

this user is offline madmatt

• Buggy Obsessed
  • bath/frome
  • sidewinder
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:13:27 AM
GOOD news really,polishing wolf's has given me a twitch.
The more you know,the more you know you don't know

this user is offline v0lkswagon

• Staines
  • sidewinder
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:58 PM
Is there such thing as rear wheels too wide on a buggy ... I don't think so