Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 10:08:11 PM

emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb

This is a discussion for the topic emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb  (Read 4680 times)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 04:35:38 PM
It amazes me how someone can get a 3/4 inch wide nut onto a left hand thread then do it up that far it must have been a slightly larger non metric thread that just about gripped. A shame as it has all new king and link pins fitted so I will use the carrier and source a stub and nuts.
As you say Peter a good reason to have an mot on your car because the insurance company would refuse to pay up with a get out opportunity like that.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 02:03:53 PM
got the pans tacked in but grand daughter wanted to ride her bike so had to put the floor pan away for another day then will seam weld them. found another problem the handbrake tubes are about 3" long both ends as I was going to see what length cables I needed but now need to make 2 new guide tubes as there is over a foot between the sections.

a replacement stub axle and some other parts have arrived, however now I find the modified pitman arm is 2" longer than a rhd one so guessing the l/h trackrod being a later one with steering damper facility required the extra long arm to fit it in.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:35 PM
now back in action so got the underside frame done and a coat of waxoyl underseal it can have a week or 2 to dry now before cracking on after the 17th.

had to remove the hand brake guide tubes as a few inches either end and nothing in the middle was no good, a proper 1974 gas axe chassis cut, so tidy up make new centre sections from larger diameter that slide over the originals and weld the rear exit tube back in.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 05:34:53 PM
That frame and pans coated black looks tremendous. You are really making strides now.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about handbrake operational issues as in my experience is they aren't often used in a buggy. You can usually park against the kerb or ask Lee to find you a lump of concrete to carry behind the drivers seat !
Hugh

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 07:11:18 PM
It has to be fixed Hugh the aim is a cheap fully working and mechanically sound buggy for somebody to use if it gets sold, as with yours buggies leaving here have to be safe to drive and functioning.

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 08:13:14 PM
I am of course grateful the buggy world is dominated by folk like you Keith else wed be heading for extinction if there were many more like me.

Also this buggy is going to be a safe easily seen yellow !
Hugh

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 10:36:36 PM
Also this buggy is going to be a safe easily seen yellow !

Time to drive up north with a tin of green paint then  ::)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 07:36:49 PM
chassis is up and rolling just needs the brake cables shortening,adjust and bleed + a tidy up of the engine. Today was the start of the fibreglass patching to rebuild the missing rear corners, repair the weak spots on the mounting lip and get rid of the large hole, peg board like hole drilling in the rear bulkhead also the holes that had paint tin lids glued in. The cold wind and then the rain late morning stopped play as curing took sometime then it all got wet. Now upside down on the pan under the carport so I can hopefully do more this weekend.

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 09:16:54 PM
Seems to take more than a bit of unseasonable weather to slow you down Keith.

I love seeing that yellow waiting to be presented to the world when you've finished patching the under side.

Reading you say you are closing holes reminded me of that story in the buggy manual about being able to over come a broken throttle cable by attaching a shoe lace through a hole in the rear seating area and having a passenger operate the throttle !
Hugh

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 07:26:29 PM
the underside is done and it now sits on the pan clearing the gearbox and suspension.  I just need to fill the inside parts and remove the technicoloured layers of paint that are peeling off so the interior treatment will bond to the shell.  It was a Chad torquoisey blue gel coat originally but has many colours on top some parts fall off qnd some are stuck fast.
warmer weather would be useful as the 4% catalyst mix with the resin shows an optimistic 4.5 hrs cure time on the tin seems 6 or 7 may be nearer the truth.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 01:55:10 PM
productive few hours this morning, knocked up a new dash frame and got the dash mounted, column hole need a bit of a tweak and a support collar made. will have to make a list of parts needed to get it finished and get some wanted adverts up.

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 03:32:05 PM
Well done on keeping up the progress as rather than use shiny new parts that all fit together nicely you've managed to amalgamate and adapt to a multitude of existing bodges and oddities put in place by previous owners.

Do you have a nickname for the emerging buggy ?
Hugh

this user is offline Oojamaflip

• Buggy Addict
  • Tamworth
  • Californian
Reply #42 on: April 07, 2018, 03:57:25 PM
Well done on keeping up the progress as rather than use shiny new parts that all fit together nicely you've managed to amalgamate and adapt to a multitude of existing bodges and oddities put in place by previous owners.

Do you have a nickname for the emerging buggy ?

Nicknames gotta be Wilma !!
Apparently I'm having a mid-life crisis....Lasted 30 years thus far.

LWB limited edition Californian
SWB Meyers Manx
SWB girlfriend

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #43 on: April 07, 2018, 04:01:04 PM
Much that I don't wish to get too personal Oojamaflip but given your nick name, and those of the people close to you, I'm not sure you are ideally suited. Oh and don't you drive an orange buggy ?!
Hugh

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #44 on: April 07, 2018, 04:04:54 PM
Given the number of varieties, how about "Heinz 57"  :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk