Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:36:07 PM

emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb

This is a discussion for the topic emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: emptied the wallet today and got a GP flinstone swb  (Read 3812 times)

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 05:46:01 PM
Is there such thing as rear wheels too wide on a buggy ... I don't think so

These rears at 8.5" plus and adaptor with 295 tyres stuck out about 4" either side so a bit to far as GP planned 7" rears and this buggy has the long shaft axle tubes.

A massive thanks to Hugh for his assistance today and the donation of a chassis to cut repair pieces out of.

The two weld runs down behind the handbrake were worrying as it looked like 2 cuts had been done but application of the cutting disc revealed a tin plate over a good tunnel join.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 06:05:31 PM
I may be interested in the 295 tyres / rears as looking to mock something up soon and need that size  ???

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 06:15:00 PM
I may be interested in the 295 tyres / rears as looking to mock something up soon and need that size  ???

they are general XP2000 295/50 X 15 no cracking and as USA ones no date made but they were the ones on the buggy about 5mm left on them even wear. just to wide for a GP.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 06:29:09 PM
Keith I enjoyed my modest contribution to your re-build. You are most generous in allowing a practiced amateur to freely wield your assorted 2000W power tools near your aged chassis without training or reprimand, although hopefully all my abrasions will be well concealed under lashing of paint and period carpet.

Any buggy novice should get along to Keith's to experience first hand the free and easy reconstruction techniques.

Also the 1970 booklet - All about Beach Buggies - was a trip down memory lane to a more innocent time with talk of driving on Bigbury beach in Devon without the correct permission and then having a friendly chat with "the fuzz". I noted the road testing of a MantaRay where the brakes were described as "slightly dodgy" as the front locked up and pulled to the right and the accelerator cable snapped so a passenger shoe lace was utilised through a rear hole and "operated" (apparently "quite fun when you get used to it") by someone sitting in the back.
Hugh

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 06:53:28 PM

they are general XP2000 295/50 X 15 no cracking and as USA ones no date made but they were the ones on the buggy about 5mm left on them even wear. just to wide for a GP.

I`ll give you a yell at some point then  ;-)up

this user is offline Oojamaflip

• Buggy Addict
  • Tamworth
  • Californian
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
Keith I enjoyed my modest contribution to your re-build. You are most generous in allowing a practiced amateur to freely wield your assorted 2000W power tools near your aged chassis without training or reprimand, although hopefully all my abrasions will be well concealed under lashing of paint and period carpet.

OMG keith you haven't allowed Hugh near any power tools have you I hope he wasn't wearing shorts one little bit of hot metal  ::) 

And also if Hugh is going to be your apprentice he needs the usual apprentice training first

Hugh mines Coffee milk no sugar. (Thanks for my "New Yellow" (ORANGE) window demister)

:D

Apparently I'm having a mid-life crisis....Lasted 30 years thus far.

LWB buggy SWB girlfriend

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:36:04 PM
Hugh was well looked after and had goggles and the offer of protective clothing no need for the basic training at snoopy towers as the resident staff are very capable.

Hughs donated chassis is no more and was considerably more rotten than it looked and compared to the buggy spine at 10 to 15 years older you can see how VW metal quality dropped.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:59 PM
Good God Oojamflip I was in a fully ventilated work space located somewhere between Vicky’s bonfire and the neighbouring sound of sawing wood. And there was no need for me to handle hot liquids as the resident fully qualified catering staff insist on statutory nutritional breaks.

As for the rotten chassis I guess ‘beware country folk offering you gifts’.... More seriously it’s depressing how quality in life only goes one way once share holder profits come into play. On one hand VW must have condoned the thinning of the metal and certified it as still suitable for their cars and on the other hand perhaps the earlier thicker chassis was actually over designed ?

It was interesting to have Keith point out so many variations between chassis’s whereas I had assumed VW had a standard fixed ‘perfect’ design that didn’t need changing from the off.
Hugh

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 10:18:00 PM
On a serious note (how very dare I), when was the change to thinner metal for the chassis? Are we talking tunnel metal as well as floor pans?
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 10:55:51 PM
The 65-72 spine corroded faster than the 57 due to reduced nickel content in the steel, inside the 57 it is lovely the later pan is just rusty with large flakes coming off, a prod with a screw driver went through the naps hat area the 57 is still solid, they cheapened production on gearbox mounts one is cast and solid the other shaped plate. lifting the pans on and off the work platform the later one is lighter. If I was buying a beetle I would go for a pre 63 one.

As with all mass production things are designed for a quick easy build and cost cutting wherever possible and not done for a long life span.

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 11:28:34 PM
The 65-72 spine corroded faster than the 57 due to reduced nickel content in the steel, inside the 57 it is lovely the later pan is just rusty with large flakes coming off, a prod with a screw driver went through the naps hat area the 57 is still solid, they cheapened production on gearbox mounts one is cast and solid the other shaped plate. lifting the pans on and off the work platform the later one is lighter. If I was buying a beetle I would go for a pre 63 one.

As with all mass production things are designed for a quick easy build and cost cutting wherever possible and not done for a long life span.

So my '74 is a bit later. Any chance they went back to more solid steel  ;D

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:23 AM

No that's when they started using corrugated cardboard and chipboard (pre MDF)
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 08:22:35 AM

No that's when they started using corrugated cardboard and chipboard (pre MDF)

Good job I keep a fire extinguisher handy!

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 01:37:47 PM
Whilst awaiting the new welding torch to arrive so the chassis can progress I have turned my attention to cleaning up other stuff and checking it over and found a few horrors.  It has all new brakes as I was told but as no fluid was put in the cylinders are solid, however the left stub axle had one thicck nut not two thin ones I am thinking left hand thread so they tighten as you drive not undo but it is 32 years since I did any k & l work so this nut came off as r/h thread.
this was assembled by somebody as good to go

my 57 r/h/d Cyprus beetle donor has a l/h/d front beam fitted converted to r/h but with wide brakes and a dodgy steering damper bracket welded on  the steering arm has been modified for the swap to r/h/d

still best find the faults so it will be safe on the road.

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 02:21:45 PM
My God!.........................

Looking at the stub axle thread, I can't be sure but it does suggest in the lower
side at the inner end that it was indeed a left hand thread... It's completely shot now though.

And forgive me, but this crap is yet another reason the MOT should be mandatory, I know they dont
look at the state of threads in this area but they would definitely see the steering arm... And it really doesn't
matter whether this was done in cyprus or here... It would be found.

What gets me is that someones prepared to do things like this in the first place.... Hey Ho!  :'(

Peter

'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'