Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 05:12:55 PM

Cb inlet manifold query

This is a discussion for the topic Cb inlet manifold query on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Cb inlet manifold query  (Read 267 times)

this user is offline mad4slalom

• Buggy Meister
  • Near Newquay, cornwall TR2 4 HB
  • Mk1 manta ray
on: September 10, 2017, 03:37:09 PM
Hi all, just getting bits together and running through the procedure to change my twinport inlet manifold. I have bought the CB one from vw heritage. A query , the replacement which is a touch bigger and they say a bit more free flowing , it has seperate heat riser tubes so i hope less stripdown to change. Some u tube videos show you having to remove alternator and lift fan housing, i can cut off my old heat risers and hopefully wiggle old one out with both twinport castings removed from heads. But i notice the new manifold also has a cast mounting lug below the carb riser to bolt it to the casing somehow. My existing one just sits there without bolting in, this lug also looks a bit close to the fuel pump, do people grind off this lug or does it just sit over the bolt that is bolting the main case together ? Any previous experience of how others tackled this would be a great help.  Did way bigger jobs than this but since the buggy is all complete now I. Am finding it a little bit daunting. Sure i will be ok once I get my teeth into it, its just getting started, I have even thought of getting someone else to do it but dont really want to .thoughts anyone? Many thanks.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:26:14 PM
The lug will go onto a case half joint bolt so fit a lnger bolt or stud as required.

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:10 PM
The lug will go onto a case half joint bolt so fit a lnger bolt or stud as required.
Thanks snoopy, i can just see there is a long bolt in there, so will just need a nut i think, a silly one now, which i should know as i have replaced inlet boots before, but do the tubular inlet manifold ends actually go into the cast twinport ends , or just join together with the rubber boots ? I  think its the latter but just wanted to make sure. Many thanks.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:30:37 PM
The manifold tubes are made over-long to allow fittment to engines with longer-stroke cranks so for a stock engine they may need some trimming.

The tubes fit into the manifold ends. If yours don't slip in by an inch or so you've got 1300 ones, not 1600 ones. You can open them up with a die grinder if necessary.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:17 PM
The manifold tubes are made over-long to allow fittment to engines with longer-stroke cranks so for a stock engine they may need some trimming.

The tubes fit into the manifold ends. If yours don't slip in by an inch or so you've got 1300 ones, not 1600 ones. You can open them up with a die grinder if necessary.
. Thanks for that mank david, my 1600 manifold is still on the car , i was trying the manifold tubes in some spare cast ends i bought with a spare manifold so as you say they may not fit as they could be 1300 ones and should fit the ones on my engine when i strip out the old manifold. If that makes sense ,many thanks.