Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 06, 2021, 02:19:51 PM

Volksrod Mk2

This is a discussion for the topic Volksrod Mk2 on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Volksrod Mk2  (Read 26233 times)

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #75 on: May 06, 2017, 10:11:04 PM
Well I had the buggy at its first proper show last week, Stoneleigh Kit Car Show.  It ran and drove better than I could have wished for but, and there is always a but, the engine did lose a bit of oil.........erm a lot of oil.

I made my first stop at Woodall services on the M1. I only really stopped because there is a toilet there, didn't really need it but hey I was a dog in a previous life and find it hard to pass a tree without using it!  All had been well, driving really well, the engine was running nice and smooth.The only downside was the new exhaust which is too quiet, but hey,that's nothing to moan about in the grand scheme of things.
I strolled to the rear of the buggy, like you do, and HOLY SCHMIT, or words to that effect. Oil. Lots of oil. Now I'm no rocket scientist, but even I know the oil should be inside the engine, not all over the outside, dripping off the reg plate in substantial pools on the car park floor.
It seemed to becoming from the crank pulley but it was difficult ton say for certain. A quick message on the Beachbuggy.info Facebook page about the possibility of the crank seal having given up the ghost was soon replied to by Snoopy, pointing out there isn't a crank seal at that end of the crank  ::) , and perhaps there was too much oil in the engine.  This was possible as I had topped up the oil the day before. So on we went.
On the next leg I started to notice a bit of reverb from the exhaust as we went under bridges. Mmm, must have blown a bit of exhaust paste from one of the joints. Not a problem, it actually sounds better.  As the miles passed the reverb was now no longer as we passed under bridges,but all the time, and boy did it sound great!
Next stop Leicester Forest services M1. More oil, not as much, but more than I wanted to see. But more concerning at that moment in time was the exhaust.  The reason for the great sound was all too clear, as was the potential for disaster had the services been another 10 miles down the road.  My exhaust has a headed which gathers all four pipes at one common flange,  to that flange is attached the muffler with three bolts.  The nuts for two of the three bolts had gone, and the third was loose. I was sooo close to leaving the muffler on the M1, or more than likely in the front of my wife's car, as she was following me to Stoneleigh.  OK, grab some lunch, let the exhaust cool down and try think where I have some M8 nuts on the buggy which I can take off to get the exhaust fastened up again.
Halfway through sandwich number 1 and all hell broke loose.......in the form of four beach buggies arriving at the services. Myles, Doug, and whoisit in their Volksrods, and thingy in his Manta Ray. Really sorry guys for forgetting your names, especially 'thingy' as I swear his toolbox was out of his buggy and at the side of my exhaust before he'd applied the handbrake.  Anyway I owe 'thingy' for the repair,and the others just for the for the sense of not being alone their arrival provided.
So on to Stoneleigh.  A great weekend was had, tales of other peoples woes,especially GrooveChampion's made mine fade into insignificance by comparison.
The return run was less eventful. Still a bit of oil loss but hey, there couldn't be much left to escape anyway.  A three buggy convoy with Myles and Doug was a bit of a highlight for me. It's been so may years since I've experienced that at the wheel of my own buggy.

So back home and to try fathom out what went wrong. There was more to it than just over filling the engine as the oil level was now back down to the bottom marker on the dipstick. What had changed since the buggy last run just a few weeks ago?
Well there hadn't been much changed which could cause this oil loss.  A new crank pulley, new alternator stand and filler. And after owning the engine for 27 years I had just got round to connecting the oil breather on the oil filler to the air filter.
To my mind suspect number 1 was the aftermarket crank pulley.  Was the oil thrower thread not up to the job. I removed it and was instantly disappointed. The rear of the pulley was clean.  I was expecting it to be bathed in oil. The oil throw thread was also mostly clean and didn't look as though it had any work to do, let alone be overwhelmed by the task.   
I cleaned up the tinware and found that there was a lot of oil on the tinware, under the oil pressure switch.  Could it be leaking from the switch?  Maybe. Having replaced the oil pressure switch, only to find the replacement is faulty and re-instated the original one, I went for a drive this evening.  I stopped after about 6 miles and hoped to find a small pool of oil below the switch. There wasn't.  But now there was one near the dipstick.  Although on the run to Stoneleigh there was so much oil it was hard to distinguish where it was coming from it was also clear that some areas where only suffering from splatter.  Most of the engine to the right of centre could be described as suffering from splatter.  So crank case pressure would seem to be the culprit. Perhaps the oil had leaked from the oil pressure switch originally, but removing and replacing it had cured that leak point, and moved the problem to the dipstick.  Next I removed the breather pipe from the oil filler, cleaned up the new pool of oil and set off again, back home.  A slightly longer route home, with a nice long uphill drag to get the engine working.  I arrived home, jumped out and checked out the engine. Nothing, not a drop. So hopefully that is sorted. A few more runs will confirm or deny the matter I suppose.
But what to do about the breather to the air filter?  A larger diameter pipe to allow the crank case to breath more easily? Or leave it off, as I never had a problem running it like that before!
Hopefully I can now concentrate on my list of 101 things to do before IBW in a month's time.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #76 on: May 07, 2017, 07:29:41 AM
My type 1 engine used to throw out out at an alarming rate, and that was also down to how I had the breather pipe.

It took me a while to get it right, but once I had an amount of negative pressure in that pipe from the air filter, the leaks went away

Picture of your setup might help
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #77 on: May 07, 2017, 04:42:32 PM
My type 1 engine used to throw out out at an alarming rate, and that was also down to how I had the breather pipe.

It took me a while to get it right, but once I had an amount of negative pressure in that pipe from the air filter, the leaks went away

Picture of your setup might help

Here you go.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:44:15 PM by Buggybaggy »

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #78 on: May 07, 2017, 04:58:17 PM
Maybe try a yellow hose, green doesn't seem to work with buggys
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #79 on: May 08, 2017, 03:40:30 PM

Clear hose is better, you can see the mayo buildup easier

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #80 on: May 08, 2017, 04:27:54 PM

Good point, but I only fitted it on Thursday or Friday before setting off to Stoneleigh on Saturday, so I don't think I've got mayo build uo yet.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #81 on: May 08, 2017, 05:32:46 PM

Good point, but I only fitted it on Thursday or Friday before setting off to Stoneleigh on Saturday, so I don't think I've got mayo build uo yet.

You might be surprised, I empty out my catchpot after nearly every trip and always get water and mayo

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #82 on: June 10, 2017, 10:59:28 AM
Mrs Buggybaggy knocked us a couple of interior panels a fortnight ago. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:06:09 AM by Buggybaggy »

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #83 on: June 10, 2017, 11:06:45 AM
Mrs Buggybaggy knocked us a couple of interior panels a fortnight ago. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1699264600368290&set=a.1579903745637710.1073741829.100008542997766&type=3

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #84 on: June 15, 2018, 08:28:35 PM
Well after the main interior side panels being fitted last year it was obvious that a couple of additional smaller ones were requires to make it look right.
Mrs Buggybaggy duly obliged a few weeks ago.

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #85 on: October 18, 2019, 11:54:29 AM
Not posted on here for a while, largley due to the photobucket fiasco. Anyway, a few, more up to date, photos.

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #86 on: September 13, 2020, 05:45:31 PM
I'm not very good at keeping this thread up to date.
Since the last update I've replaced the engine with a rebuilt 1776 item from Farmer Rob. Painted up some new tinware, and added twin carbs.
Been for my first real drive with the new engine today, out to Skipton and back. Knocked 50+ miles of the running in process. Happy days.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #87 on: September 13, 2020, 07:03:13 PM
That looks good and great to see you getting some miles in. I think I heard you or did you fit an exhaust?  ;D ;D ;D

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #88 on: September 13, 2020, 08:43:41 PM

I heard you from up here (nights) 😂👍
Good you are sorted. Need to catch up before lockdown 2 🤷🏻‍♂️🙈😂

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #89 on: September 13, 2020, 09:01:29 PM
That looks good and great to see you getting some miles in. I think I heard you or did you fit an exhaust?  ;D ;D ;D

Do you think an exhaust willl help? :D
Yes, borrowed a pair of cannons for now. Will get a merged exhaust made soonish.