Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2017, 11:49:59 AM

International Buggy Weekend 2017 - Osnabruk, Germany - Sat Navs and Spam

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2017 - Osnabruk, Germany - Sat Navs and Spam on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2017 - Osnabruk, Germany - Sat Navs and Spam  (Read 1246 times)

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reaching into my soggy inside pocket reminds me that we need to start planning for next years trip

Yes, Next year is going to be an even more epic drive to Switzerland - Hope to see you there !!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:35:52 AM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
This is the point where I now have to thank everybody.

From our fantastic hosts of the Osnabruk Buggy Club to our extended European Buggy family - thank you, it was an awesome event.

But the real thanks got to Team GB and everyone that came along to make this trip such an absolute laugh all the way, thanks to those that have been ridiculed and thanks to those whose photobucket accounts I had to hack to get the pictures. I would also like to give a very special note of thanks to someone who didn't actually come with us, my good mate Farmer Rob, because without his engine expertise, I would never have made this one.

I look forward to returning to Sausageland though, if only to have a sausage - because all I ate this time around was Spam  ;D

And that my friends, is the end of my little story - Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:45:31 AM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Oh, so where was he then? 

It would appear that he overslept and missed the trip

What a Wally  ::)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:49:31 AM by Dave DND »

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Quote from DaveDND
And I am not referring to my own mental breakdown of having to leave half a crate of beer behind as there was no space to carry it..

Dont worry Dave, they travelled back with me wedged in any spare spaces in amongst the luggage. Where do you think those beers several of us were imbibing in the ferry queue came from?
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Thank god for that - didn`t want them to go to waste   ;-)up

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Great write up by the way, the "Spam" as you called it was described to me as pig or chicken, I had both, and some goulash and it was delicious. But then you know I love my food

Top tip for IBW virgins, take your own mug, the coffee cups are tiny.
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
And vegetables as I had a plate of hot spam some cold spam with other undefined processed meats and undefined meat soup.

this user is online apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Great write up!  ;-)up Wish I could do it all again.

It was a very meaty weekend!
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Meister
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Dave thanks for summing it all up in a heady mixture of images, facts and mild distortions to help capture the fun atmosphere of a great few days.

Odd how quickly the glitches seem just humorous tales now.
Hugh

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
You are bang on with the odd glitch not being a problem when viewed in 20/20 hindsight Hugh but I have never driven in such shocking conditions as we had on the Dartford Crossing Bridge.  A trip into the Thames would have been a relief from the 2 buckets of water that every HGV threw into my face as they overtook.

If I had known that I was going to need a breakdown truck 60 miles from home I would have done the Fat boys at Morrison’s and a little subtle sabotage so I could ride in a proper coloured recovery vehicle (RAC) all the way.

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy King
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
That is a good story, seems a long time ago now.

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Lord
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Dave that's a fantastic job on the write up. Seems ages ago now and great to bring back all the memories. I can't imagine a better trip to have lost my IBW cherry on. What a holiday! So many laughs. Anyone with a buggy in any doubt, this trip is a must. Switzerland may be a bit far next year but Holland the year after is in the diary already.

For me the best part was meeting all you "Wallys". Superb bunch of people and I can't wait for the next event - hopefully will make Swanage. Yet to confirm.

Thank you to all that were there for a brilliant trip.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Oldbury West Midlands
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Great account Dave. I know how hard it is to capture a trip like this in words and pictures, so brilliant.

With so many buggies this year - 24 GB Buggies and 38 people in total there were so many sub adventures going on throughout the weekend.

AT the time the journey on the Friday to get there seemed endless but now it is just a funny story with how many different routes different groups did to get there. If you plotted it on a map it would either look like Wacky Racers or the start sequence to Dad's Army.

I too hate Sat Nav's after Pier Pressure but the way I get round it is look at google maps before I go, find the route I want to go, then manually pick the points / route on the Sat Nav and then just use it as an electronic map rather than letting it tell me where to go.

After repairing Arran's buggy that is what we did from the House of Pancakes and it took us straight to the campsite. Worked fine on the way back too until Rotterdam where they had decided to remove the road that turned left and built a 3 mile tunnel instead last year - but we made it in the end  :D

Glad Lisa had  a great time too.

After driving buggies for 25 years now I can honestly say that was some of the worst weather I have ever travelled in. It finally eased to a simple downpour around Coventry, but going up the M11 and across the A14 was like Armageddon. I had to pass one lorry and it was just like when you pay you £2 and go through the automatic car wash. God knows how Gary survived without a roof or thermals. Ironically my engine never missed a beat thankfully.

Switzerland I would love to do but alas time and finance will put a stop to that, but definitely the Dutch the year after. 8)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:20:35 AM by Chad »
Pier Pressure 2016 - Cruisng Against Cancer
Please help support us
www.pierpressure2016.co.uk
www.justgiving.com/teams/pierpressure2016
www.doon.co.uk

this user is online apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
What about Euro Bug In for 2018? Just a thought?

I know some people go independantly but what about as a group as IBW is unfortunatly too far for most.
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy