Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 08:19:01 PM

International Buggy Weekend 2017 - Osnabruk, Germany - Sat Navs and Spam

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2017 - Osnabruk, Germany - Sat Navs and Spam on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2017 - Osnabruk, Germany - Sat Navs and Spam  (Read 6234 times)

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
It was now time for tea - Jokingly, I wondered if there would be any Spam - And there was  ;)

There was a selection of bread crumbed meats - possibly chicken or spam, some thinly sliced meats - definitely spam and a selection of soups and stews that were almost certainly made with spam. Their spam is not like ours, it does actually taste quite good - but I do long for some carbs to go with it.

Yes, the Dutch really do wear clogs all the time

And with tea over and done with somebody cried out

Where's Wally ?   ???

::)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:32:50 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
And sure enough - There was the biggest Wally of them all

And one by one, the Wally's started to appear

I suspect that I may now have found the root cause of Lisa's balance issues

Important to make sure that all Wally's were drinking heavily

For most of them it really wasn't a problem

And help was at hand for those that still appeared to be sober

What a bunch of Wallys

Now time to go and put international our relationships to the test   ::) 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:17:49 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
There are some of you out there probably still wondering who on earth Wally is? (I`m staggered, but not everyone knows)

Where's Wally? (USA call it Where's Waldo?, Germans call it Where's Walter) is a British series of children's books created by the English illustrator Martin Handford. The books consist of a series of detailed illustrations depicting people doing a variety of amusing things at a given location. Readers are challenged to find a character named Wally hidden in the picture.

Anyway, you can probably guess whats coming next from this drunken lot . . . . .

While they are all playing silly buggers outside, they suddenly realize that I am inside drinking beer

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:02:01 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
All that silliness made us thirsty, so some more beers were called for. The night was still young, but was going to be a good one.

And of course, it wasn't long before the games started again . . .

Dave Dream thought that he could pick Krug up on his shoulders, but his legs had stopped working

Amazing amount of fun to be had with a length of garden hosepipe

Roisin was now playing her own game called "Where's Willy" - (I just hope this was Arran and not Alan) ::)

Lisa thought her head was spinning more than usual, but it was just Baggybuggy going around in circles on his hands and knees

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:26:14 AM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Several years ago, we spelt out the word "NEWS" and whilst everyone was rolling around in a drunken stupor, we thought we would try it with WALLY

However, we had no vantage point for the aerial shot, and it was very clear that this wasn't going to work

Matthew suspected Roisin was still playing "Wheres Willy", as he caught her peeking up his trouser leg

We thought it may work better propped up against a hedge - and it did !!

We were then Photobombed by the Dutch Ambassador

That was thirsty work - Time once again to retreat to the bar for some ice cold refreshment at 1 Euro a bottle

At which point the Dutch Ambassador walked in with a message for the GB Buggy Crew

Ladies and Gentlemen (who was he kidding) The Dutch would like to Negotiate Brexit with you.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:24:41 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
We now move back outside where we are now gathered around the table. As you can see, everyone is deeply engrossed in what is going on, and we can now bring you an eye witness report into the Brexit Negotiations between us and the Dutch.

Well of course it was going to revolve around a drinking game. You had to stop the plane from knocking over your counters. 3 Strikes and you take a drink. But before you think that getting a drink when you lose was a negative, just bear in mint WHAT we were drinking. I am still unconvinced whether that spirit was Red Diesel or Aviation Fuel, but either way, you really wanted the other side to drink it.

We were being thrashed at this drinking game, but no surprise really when you see the size of the guys we are up against.

So we changed tactics. We went in hard and fast and played our best. The Ladies.

After all, as the world knows, Nobody can compete with our women when it comes to heavy drinking on a Saturday night

And they certainly didn't disappoint - that's another round to us.

They tried to distract our team by simultaneously starting the "Peg" game, but Kath was having none of it and didn't even notice

Suddenly they spotted our Honorary Brit, and were not best pleased about it  - " Ruben . . . You're Holland . . . F*** You !! "

So they decided to kidnap one of ours in exchange - But Hugh was in his element. Hugh could play strategically

Eventually a deal was struck and sealed with a . . er . . kiss and a belly rub, and I hope that nothing more than clothes were exchanged

Everybody seemed happy with the new deal

And so it was back off to the bar for some refreshments - after all, that drinking game was thirsty work
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:33:47 AM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
The music was pumping, our heads were thumping and it was time to hit the dance floor. It was party time, and there were Wallys everywhere. Notable lack of fancy dress from the other Clubs this year - maybe they just couldn't compete with us.

Everyone was having such a great time

The Drinking Bag Game. This shows just how mad this place can be, I mean where else would you find someone wandering around with a giant holdall filled with bottles of spirits, asking you to delve inside, rummage around and then produce a bottle of which you were given a drink. Ok, it was the rocket fuel left over from the Brexit talks, but it just goes to show the sheer friendliness of everyone here.

Dave Doon took Lisa for a spin on the dance floor, whilst the rest of us were wondering - Exactly how much had BaggyBuggy had to drink ?    :-*

Lisa needed a sit down, but something told me that the Gyroscope in her head was now spinning at warp five.

Over on the dance floor we were all laughing as the Germans had clearly found Sandra and were tossing her around like a Rag Doll, all we could hear were "Whoops" at every turn. The we remembered, Sandra had not made it here, that was Mandy being thrown around the Dance floor, and those Whoops were actually cries of Help

Alan came to the rescue - Mandy was clearly in a state of shock and exhaustion, and needed more than a drink to calm her down

Jools was celebrating his Birthday, and it was just as well he thought to wear his aviation goggles, because after we had all sung Happy Birthday, we then quite literally sent him into orbit by giving him the bumps.

The search party to see where he had landed for some strange reason turned into a giant Conga

We really should have warned these guys about their little game. You see, "Where's Wally" translates very well into Where's Waldo" as we all know, but if you start to play "Where's Willy" that translates to something else, and it really sets the Germans off.

Arran was trying his best to do an impression of a bottle opener, blissfully unawares that the Germans had now worked out the game

And its a game that they take a little too seriously for comfort

Arran made sure that they got his good side though, and not just his backside

Vanessa was clearly highly embarrassed by what she had just witnessed - either that or she was fed up with "Where's Wally" and wanted to try playing a new game of "Where's the Sun Cream" instead

Ruben was tryng to prove that he was more than an Honorary Brit with his choice of T-Shirts in Germany - Hang on a minute, where's your Wally costume?

Well done !! The sly old dog had only swapped them with someone - I hope he got a good belly rub as well

Each year, the Crown for the "Most Wasted Couple" usually goes to Chad and Flags . . .  But not this time . . .

Because this year, Mark Darby and Dave Dream provided some worthy competition

You're my best mate, I lurve you, you Wally 

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:46:55 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
It was now the small hours of Sunday Morning, and being the lightweights that we are, Lisa and I stumbled back to the tent. There were no lights, but we were instead guided by the sound of that bloody generator. It had been running all day and those inconsiderate people in that Motorhome had decided to leave it running all night too.

I was just about to go an bang on their door when right on cue, it coughed, spluttered and ran out of fuel.

Now you know what its like when camping, just as you climb into your sleeping bag your bladder pipes up and screams "I'm awake" and I needed to go for a pee. This got me thinking about an urban myth. The amount that I had drunk, combined with WHAT I had actually drunk meant that I should have been able to run an engine on anything that came out of my body. I should have been able to produce at least 95 RON. Now if only there was an empty engine nearby that I could test this out on.

So I conducted a midnight experiment and will let you know later how it went.   :D

All was quiet with the world, the music from the party had just stopped, the Genny had been watered and all you could hear was a bit of snoring around the site. Then Flags came back to his tent. Flags has learned that he cannot go to sleep to the sound of everybody reverberating, so after a 2 minute high volume blast of his stereo, just enough to waken everybody, it was enough for him to then go to sleep in silence.

We went to sleep to the sound of rain, but I fear Flag's tent may have ended up wetter than the others (after all, the generator was full)

:-X  :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:45:25 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Confucius says: Man who wanders around at night conducting scientific research will wake up with dirty feet   ::)

The Campsite was somewhat subdued on Sunday morning. The rain had long passed and the ground had soaked it all up so it was actually dry underfoot. Baggybuggys clingfilm had failed miserably but we were all hung over that much that we really didn't care.

Some ventured down to the breakfast area desperately in search of coffee and some morning Spam. It was quite funny - you could hear all of the different Nationalities talking to themselves, then you would occasionally hear a recognizable word of "Wally" and then they would start giggling and laughing.

Back at Camp GB, Dave Doon was pondering over whether he could convince the wife to let him grow a beard

Some tried to hide in their tents hoping to sleep it off

Some didn't even get as far as their tents

Hudge was definitely running without baffles, but re-inserting them made little difference

Mark was frantically searching around for something he had misplaced overnight - turned out to be his eyesight

And as for Big GP . . .  Well, I think Gary was dead.

The hosts had laid on an event for this morning. It was a cruise around the area, which I would have liked to have done. However, I was struggling to sit in my Buggy, let alone steer it, and a few of us decided to give the morning cruise a miss as we were without doubt way over the limit for driving anyway. From what I can gather, the hosts had not sought (or paid for) the correct permits from the German authorities to do a formal cruise, so they were moving about in batches of 15 cars and no more. Apparently, 16 cars is classed as a cruise, strictly Verboten, and subject to an on the spot fine if caught, whereas 15 cars is permitted. Some of our group decided to take an independent run out for a bit of exploration whilst the rest of us just bid them farewell.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:04:49 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Time to park the cars, and take a little wander around the site

It was so nice to see some old Beetles here - you seldom see them anymore at shows back home, its all campers

A couple of very tidy looking Baja's

And this one I could quite happily have taken home

This one never fails to grab peoples attention - such a stunning paint job

The shapes and sizes are so different to ours, yet they are all instantly recognizable as Beach Buggies

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:11:22 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Meanwhile . . . .

The MBC Air Bike Display team had come out of Retirement and were trying some new rides

The rest of the GB Crew were heading out on a tour to the Dark Forest.

Hugh seemed to know a fair bit about this place. It was where the Roman Army was decimated by the German Barbarians in 7AD and is allegedly one of the bloodiest battles in human history.

The Sat Navs ensured that the cruise was as confusing as it could be, and they had to pull over to ask someone where they were

There were a brace of Belgian Buggies with them, but I think they also got a little fed up of the Sat Nav sense of direction, and headed back to Camp

It wasn't long before they found a nice little restaurant near "Bad Lippspringe"

Where Coffee and Cakes were called for

There were some very friendly Deer outside

Time to head back to Camp and see what is going on

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:28:03 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
A few kilometers down the road from the camp was an airfield where we had all been told to gather for the Show and Shine

We were told to park up in a long line

No idea how many were here, but I think I overheard that there were 198 on the Campsite

There were Buggies as far as you could see

Not sure if this was a Californian that had been Jacked Up, but it really suited it

Chad opened his bonnet to show off how tidy the DOON was - A good decision that would pay dividends later

The Judges were carefully scrutinizing the cars with an impossible task ahead of them - How would you pick one ?

When the Judges came to my car, they laughed at the size of my exhausts and then got down on their hands and knees shouting up the end of them and waiting for an echo

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:37:03 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
The crowds were now starting to gather for some more afternoon entertainment

We were parked alongside a large (Dusty) muddy area which looked very much like a Buggy playground

And there is nothing that this lot like doing more than racing about

In fact, the Europeans take their racing and off roading very seriously indeed

Mark had found himself a really good vantage point for taking in the action

Although I suspect that the guy on the toilet had a better view

The game had evolved - Arno was now attempting the course whilst balancing a ball of congealed Spam

But the course started getting more challenging as they now started driving up the mounds of mud that had been created by digging big holes in the airfield.

Some of the other cars appeared on the track and took turns in negotiating the steep terrain

And some cars I really did not expect to see competing at all

Hudge popped his head up - "If he can do it, then I can bloody well do it - I want a go !"

And with that he was off like a scalded cat

The first mound took several attempts to climb it, and Hudge quickly found that it was not quite as easy as some were making out

Some of you may not know the reasoning and history behind the big aerials and flags that we use. In days of old, they proved to be an essential bit of kit when playing about in the sand dunes, so that anybody on the other side of the crest of the dune could see your flag waving about and therefore not land on you by accident.

And this point is demonstrated perfectly when Hudge's Sat Nav takes him the wrong way up the mound and against the flow of cars using it

Even the "Oojies" have a quick go on the track, but are quickly halted when a belt is spotted flapping about

Some of the locals are getting a bit cocky, and are now exiting the hole with a bit more speed

Which is like a red rag to a bull to Hudge, who can now be seen getting air under his front wheels too

His fan housing had a few words to say about his rough landing though - luckily all was well after a good thump

We were then shown how it is done properly - as I said, these guys do not mess about

There was no way anyone could compete with him, so it was back to the campsite

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:28:31 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
We made our return back to the campsite to find that the others had now returned and the tools had been broken out

Dave Dreams Hub seals had failed, leaking oil over the back wheels. Somewhat dangerous when your car is as fast as his. They tried to jack up the car on the soft mud, and then moved over to the tarmac road to stop the jack from sinking into the ground. The site owner then graciously offered the use of his very well equipped workshop down the road and the problem was sorted.

I don`t know about you, but when camping in my Buggy I always keep a few "essentials" in there. A couple of tea bags, a few sachets of instant coffee / drinking chocolate and a couple of packets of the Pasta Mug Shots, so if I am stranded anywhere I can have a brew and a basic meal. Ruben packs very differently, and his interpretation of "Five a day" is also very different to ours. Ruben also appeared to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms too, as he had now gone nearly 48 hours without any Pannenkoeken. He had managed to build up a backlog that not even he could consume today. Instead, he distributed them amongst us, so that we would not go without.

We compared packets . . . But to us it was just "Double Dutch" . . .  I'll get my coat . . . . . . .    ;D

There is a serious side to the International Buggy Weekend, and it was not long before a few of us were summoned for the meeting of the Presidents. Usually this is a basic breakdown and feedback on how we all thought the weekend went, and another chance to get hammered from the crates of beer being passed about. This meeting was no exception. As normal, the meeting was conducted in German, and although I can usually keep up with German when being spoken by a non native, I did occasionally find that German language being spoken by Germans in their own country was a lot faster than I was used to, but we coped. There seemed to be an underlying complaint (same one we always hear) about Toilets and showers. The communal toilet block had separate cubicle for mean and Women, and knowing how "liberal" some of these countries are, I was a little surprised that the comment was that there was no physical barrier between the Men's and Women's side. The lack of showers on site was completely understandable and did not go down well. Another comment was about the lack of information at this one, which again seemed a little odd given the German perception of order. Flags was thanked for stepping in with his First Aid treatment, and it turned out that the friend that chased the ambulance got a speeding ticket for doing so. Toon's son was there with a small tape recorder, and a few of us sent back a "Get Well Soon" message, which I thought was a really clever idea. The venue for the next 2 years was agreed (2018 Switzerland ~ 2019 Holland) and Chad announced that we would try and put some official figures together for a UK one, for them to review in 2 years time. We know its unlikely to come to fruition, but we now have a GB Committee working behind the scenes to actually see how feasible it is.

Oh . . . Nearly Forgot . . .

My little experiment had a very interesting result . . .    :-)Geek

So, the urban myth goes something along the lines of: If you drink yourself stupid, do you actually widdle out pure alcohol or at least something strong enough to run an engine on

:-\

Well . . . .

They really struggled on Sunday to get that generator going, and by Sunday afternoon they had given up

Conclusion :

;D

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:01:59 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
It was approaching tea time on what had been yet another gloriously sunny day here in Glandorf. The weather could not have been better. Scorching hot sunshine during the day, a light shower overnight, and everything dried up by morning. Today had seen a few clouds rolling in, but nothing to worry about.

Alongside where we queued for food was a man with a smoker going. Surprisingly, it didn't smell, and in this hot sunshine, it should have. The fish inside (don`t know the species) were well and truly done and were being sold at 4 Euros a go, which I thought to be a little expensive. Then again, I live by the coast, have my own smoker and catch fish for free, so maybe 4 Euros isn't a bad price after all. Wasn't tempted though.

Yeah, I know - me and my big mouth. We are now stood in the queue for food wondering if we will get into the canteen tent before the heavy rain reaches us (which we didn't) but at least it was warm rain, and lets be honest, its the first time many of us have actually washed all weekend. Gary kept the rain off with his new hat, and proved that when you have had a few beers, you can always find a traffic cone.

I wondered if we would be having Spam for our last meal here. Ok, stupid thought - I should have been wondering, how will they choose to serve Spam tonight. Think of a big juicy Carvery back home. Think of how the Chef gives you that little smile as you ask for a bit of crackling. You know its the best bit, they know that you know its the best bit, and there is a mutual acknowledgement and respect as they put that crispy bit on your plate. Right then, substitute that hunk of meat for a giant Spam Meatloaf, where they are now slicing it an inch thick and of a shape that just about fits on the plate, and instead of crackling, they have the burnt bits from the end. I asked for a burnt bit and got that same knowing look from the chef. It looked awful, but you know what, it was bloody gorgeous.

The tea things were quickly cleaned away and an area was set up for the presentations. Fynlay was a little surprised that everything was being done in German but its amazing how fast you can grasp what is going on, even if you are not fluent in the lingo.

The first set of awards were to the usual suspects, the people that had worked tirelessly behind the scenes, and well deserved they were. A familiar face, albeit plastered in stitches collected an award for the "Oops Moment" of the weekend - that was a nice touch.

Some of the smaller children got an award for their colourful artwork

Whilst some of the bigger children didn't even get a mention

I`m proud to say that GB Buggies scooped 2 awards that night. Chad got 2nd best Buggy at show, or best opening bonnet - still not sure of the translation, whilst Arran collected the award for furthest traveled to the tune of us lot belting out the Proclaimers walking 500 miles.

I couldn't tell you what the next dozen awards were for as we were all still serenading Arran with the chants of "Flower of Scotland" but I did hear that the best Buggy went to a stunning little Imp. No disagreements from anyone on that choice.

These two just couldn`t stop grinning like a pair of idiots - in fact I bet they are still grinning now  :D

I spotted Roisin throwing away most of their camping equipment into the skip so that their award could now take pride of place in the tent where I think they both took turns in giving it a cuddle throughout the night.

A few beers were downed, and then it was time for an early night, as tomorrow was going to be a long day.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:36:30 PM by Dave DND »