Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 06:59:34 PM

Toms fugitive 4

This is a discussion for the topic Toms fugitive 4 on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Toms fugitive 4  (Read 12488 times)

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #75 on: June 17, 2018, 02:44:17 PM
Not bad considering, but may I ask something, are 'mudguards' not on the MOT list anymore ?  ???

Peter  :)

'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'

this user is offline Johnthesparky

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #76 on: June 17, 2018, 03:41:21 PM
A bit keen on the dampers unless they did not stop it bouncing you can pass with a light oil mist on them still only 2 jobs and easily fixed. ;-)up

One of them was dripping oil, must have recently blown the seal (but itís not been driven until recently)

It was a fair cop I thought :)

MOT guy was really good and talked to me and Tom whilst he was testing, showed us what he was doing...

It was the last test booked for the day, but we were there well over an hour!

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #77 on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:00 PM
Not bad considering, but may I ask something, are 'mudguards' not on the MOT list anymore ?  ???

Strangely, no, not part of the test for class 4.
If it was a quad, then there is a section on mudguards...

Cars doesnít have that section in the test, so it will pass the MOT even though it fails C&U.... so can pass MOT, drive 100m and get stopped by a copper who could then prohibit it from being driven

itíll be getting mudguards anyway but the fabricator who is doing the work is right on the road in the next village, so this is much much easier than leaving it on a trailer all day outside his unit on the road, or bending tubes, taking away checking, returning etc

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #78 on: June 17, 2018, 07:47:27 PM
We got passed by a fenderless V8 ford rat rod on the M6 on the way down from finding the haggii and he is not alone, the chance of being pulled is slim these days and you see many motors with illegal number plates in daily use with no problems.

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #79 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:56 PM

New dampers, and a pass!!!!

Rear visibility is bad, so went and picked a rollcage rear view mirror up

But it seems to misfire a bit as it warms up, so need to investigate that.... and sort some tax (itís a q, so not free :( )
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:46:49 PM by Johnthesparky »

this user is offline Groove Champion

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Glasgow
  • MK 4 Volksrod
    • Klaymore Kruisers
Reply #80 on: June 22, 2018, 12:47:45 PM

Cars doesnít have that section in the test, so it will pass the MOT even though it fails C&U.... so can pass MOT, drive 100m and get stopped by a copper who could then prohibit it from being driven

itíll be getting mudguards anyway but the fabricator who is doing the work is right on the road in the next village, so this is much much easier than leaving it on a trailer all day outside his unit on the road, or bending tubes, taking away checking, returning etc

As above mudguards are C&U not MOT.  They are designed to stop spray and debris getting thrown up - the gray area is if its dry then there is no spray, therefore they are not required.   ;-)up

Have heard some fenderless hot-rodders carry cycle fenders that can be quickly bolted on - "sorry officer - I was at a show and took them off - I'll bolt them on now...."

However - I heard a story (not sure how much truth is in it) where a rodder got stopped, used the line above, bolted his cycle fenders on then the police booked him as they were far too small / completely useless...
Running from the law ain't as easy as they make it seem on the Dukes of Hazzard

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #81 on: June 30, 2018, 05:16:08 PM
Took it to a local show today

Also saw a lovely flake buggy

Weíve done about 40 miles now, but of tightening up, but ok at the minute :)

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #82 on: July 15, 2018, 08:42:47 PM
Weíve been driving it about, and debugging it ( :D)

Bug with the harnesses it isnít that easy to use the switches on the dashboard

So weíve fitted a summit raptor, which has really tidied the dash up,

Few bits left to finish off, then try it out

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #83 on: July 15, 2018, 08:49:00 PM
the problem with full harness belts is limited movement the nice new wheel will make life easier.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #84 on: July 16, 2018, 06:36:45 AM

As above mudguards are C&U not MOT.  They are designed to stop spray and debris getting thrown up - the gray area is if its dry then there is no spray, therefore they are not required.   ;-)up

Have heard some fenderless hot-rodders carry cycle fenders that can be quickly bolted on - "sorry officer - I was at a show and took them off - I'll bolt them on now...."

However - I heard a story (not sure how much truth is in it) where a rodder got stopped, used the line above, bolted his cycle fenders on then the police booked him as they were far too small / completely useless...

I got pulled for tyre 3" outside the body line years ago in my buggy on the A3, best to let them do their job and  :-X , I got a bit  >:( and paid the price-£30! As he had a 1927? ::) That had to have them and me saying a 54 did not ;) was not going to work >:(,, He was going to have me for the Blue Streaks and no! front reg plate But I did say I hit a rabbit :) "It too high up for a rabbit" ???  It must have been a hare :D ,,If it is a clean car and you do not drive like a dick you are ok
I do not speak English well , please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's , do not take offence because what you see may be not my true meanings.

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #85 on: July 22, 2018, 10:47:31 PM
Fitted some mudguards,

Fronts use a bit of angle that replaces the thick camber washer....

So can be removed pretty quickly

Rears arenít quite as well thought out at the minute

Modified some tube I had lying around (was the old side bars)

And fixed to the frame, so not close fitting at the mo

It a bit of finishing off after holiday and theyíll look alright for the rest of this season

this user is offline fugglededumm

• Buggy Baron
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #86 on: July 22, 2018, 11:48:21 PM
Great idea on the front mudguard stays... but I fear they will go the same as mine!

See my fab design here http://www.beachbuggy.info/index.php/topic,9103.msg106862.html#msg106862

Then my mate with the Sandrail said - "that will break... right there"

and less than 40 miles later ....

http://www.beachbuggy.info/index.php/topic,9103.msg112583.html#msg112583

:o

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:50:39 PM by fugglededumm »

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 07:39:37 AM
Well..... they are easy to remove  :-[

I guess weíll try them and keep an eye on them,  as away next week, will have a mad busy week on return then a week to do any fettling before the Gathering

Didnít really expect to get it right first time

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #88 on: August 12, 2018, 05:37:01 PM
Few bits done, bit strange trying to finish things on it when itís far from finished anyway

But, hopefully we are all ready for the Gathering next weekend

• Beach Buggy
  • North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #89 on: August 21, 2018, 12:53:06 PM
Posted a bit of this in the events section, but Iíll post it here too....

Took the Fug to the Retro Rides Gathering at Shelsley Walsh

About 80 miles there, which we did on the Friday with a lunch stop en-route at a National Trust house, and then onto a cottage near Stourport.

Saturday, we loaded up with camping gear and drove the last few miles to the event

We got to drive the hillclimb on the Sunday morning

https://i.imgur.com/J9HgRjq.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt3Vx2u1R3w&app=desktop

And then drive home, we did the return in one hit, though the M40 wasnít the natural territory for it :)

Weíve done 350 miles now, and have a few things to do;
Oil change
Reindex the rear torsion bars (sat very close to the bumpstops)
Tidy up the wiring a bit
Make proper mounts for the rear guards
Modify the front guard supports as they hit the trailing arm on full lock
Start making moulds for the panels
Look into fitting some more comfortable seats
And after going up the hill, fit 1600 barrels and pistons, an AMR500 :D

And then keep doing bits and pieces... eventually get it painted

It didnít miss a beat at all, and we had 1 screw come lose, holding a p clip for the fuel pipe (but hadnít fallen out so just needed tightening)