Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 09, 2021, 06:26:05 AM

Alternative Engine Conversions - A Closer Look at the Subaru

This is a discussion for the topic Alternative Engine Conversions - A Closer Look at the Subaru on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Alternative Engine Conversions - A Closer Look at the Subaru  (Read 9368 times)

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2

Respect Dave, that's  an awful lot of time an effort you are putting into thi project

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Respect Dave, that's  an awful lot of time an effort you are putting into thi project

Well I need something to tinker with now Farmer Rob has banned me from messing with my own engine again  :-[
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2

At least you are still speaking after yellowgate  ;D

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Yellowgate  ;D ;D ;D
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Manxstu

• Buggy Lord
  • Bude, Cornwall
  • Eastcoast Manx

At least you are still speaking after yellowgate  ;D

I didn't know he'd painted is gate yellow as well! This is getting out of hand now! ::)
The futures bright, The futures orange!

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2

Think he had plenty of 'hands' helping him  ;D

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
I wonder if the president will now fire the head of the FBI (Farmerrob Builds Ingines)?

...... I'll get me coat  ::)

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
 :-\

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
So, getting this thread back on track  ;)

As I think I have mentioned, I am having a serious issue with some of the so called professionally converted looms out there, and one of the issues I will now address as it means I can lose a few wires.

The ECU controls everything, and by that I really do mean everything. The blower motor in the cabin is controlled by an ECU wire and there are several inputs and outputs that are also connected to the Air Conditioning system too. Now I know what you are thinking, a blower motor can just use a 12v supply and the air con is going to be lost anyway - but hang on a minute.

The ECU carefully monitors all of the temperatures and settings to ensure the most efficient means of running, and it even controls the outputs to the radiator fans. Its an over complex system, and to be honest a simple thermostatic switch would work just as well.

So, why am I having problems with the looms then?

The Subaru, like many modern cars, has two cooling fans. They name them as a Main fan and a Sub fan, even though they are identical in size. The theory is that one fan will come on at a certain temperature, and under other certain conditions, then sub one will then kick in for extra cooling. Sounds straight forward so far and most of these converted looms have ecu wiring and relays included to power both fans independently.

Except, that the secondary sub fan only comes into play when the Air Conditioning is running at full tilt to give extra cooling to the secondary radiator that is part of the air con system, it has little to do with the normal temperature of the water system. But if we have removed the air con system wiring from the ECU, then that sub fan system is never going to function at all - unless the ecu is tricked into thinking that the air con is indeed fitted and running the twin fans.

And this is the problem. If you trick the ECU into thinking that the air con is installed and running by grounding the signal on B136/Pin30 in order to make that second fan work, what people do not realize is that it also remaps the ecu characteristics to take into account of the extra engine loads involved by running the air con compressors. You have spent all that effort in getting the best performance out of a Subaru engine, only to restrict it by limiting the software and ignition parameters. So many conversions seem to have gone down this route and it is just wrong.

Far better to have no air con fitted, ditch the secondary fan output, run two great big cooling fans on the single output (or a separate thermostatically switched circuit) - and that will leave you to run the ECU at its optimum performance settings. As a bonus, you can also lose another bunch of wires.

On that note, my ecu diagram has now had an update.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Good work Sherlock. I can't see what the update is on the diagram though?

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2

Dave, you are doing a hell of a job  ;-)up often wondered about the ecu wiring requirement,put me off. Keep up your fab efforts .
Thanks, Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
I can't see what the update is on the diagram though?

Stuff is starting to appear - diagram was initially blank.

I`m updating the diagrams globally to make sure they are easy to find in the future, and its not a case of anyone in years to come finding one of the early incomplete ones, they will only ever see how far I have got.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Dave I think the image is proxy cached.  If you change the link to include something like ?v=1 then ?v=2  then that will force a refresh for the updates

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Dave I think the image is proxy cached.  If you change the link to include something like ?v=1 then ?v=2  then that will force a refresh for the updates

It may well be cached at a local level and if you refresh your own browser you should see the changes. I can see the updates immediately they are loaded, and the latest list will show some lines as populated with "NOT REQUIRED" or similar. You can always refresh your browser by hitting F5 a few times too. Didn`t want to physically change the link, as it preforms a global update to the other places it appears too (which seems to be working here)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk